Removing TJ Fender Signals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Removing TJ Fender Signals

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 12-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Removing TJ Fender Signals

I found this pic on the web. How would you do it? On a scale of 1-10 how hard? I really like the turn signals under the headlights.

Unread 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Buy CJ signals, cut a hole, install.

But those are probably long distance driving lights on the grille, the turn signals are in the bumper.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I should have been more clear. I'm looking at the difficulty of removing the stock blinker from the fender and filling it. If I would do it, I would put blinkers under the headlights.

Unread 12-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

After you remove the light you have to weld in (yes you HAVE to weld) a panel and then grind all the welds flat. Then use some body filler or lead (if you are a man about it) and then primer then color then clear, then buff Most likely you will have to paint most of fender if not the jeep (depends on how much sun it has seen and how the paint has faded, you won't see the sun damage until you spray then new paint on it) All in all, if you don't have some skill in body work and painting, you are going to hate yourself and then pay twice as much if have it done. That being said, I have no idea out there if fender like that exist, this is the way to do it at home for cheap
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a ball park of how much to have it done? I think I could do all of it, but I'm iffy on the matching the paint.
Unread 12-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just to help me understand. Welding in a plate is required to fill in the hole. Is there another reason to weld? Would fiberglass work? Also since the light is secure with bolts, could you bolt in a plate and then fill it? I don't have a problem with welding, I'm just trying to understand if there are other ways.

What is the benefit of lead over body filler?
Unread 12-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
TruckCenter_518

It would be most cost effective to remove the light, and make a filler piece/blockoff plate.
You could paint match the filler, and use some stainless hardware, or sit it flush.

Then just mount the new signals in the desired location.
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've made some 1/4 plate blanks to fill in the area. I plan to use the existing holes to bolt in the plate. From there I will use filler. I may add some fiberglass resin to the back to make sure it's water tight. The lights are on order. Now I just have to wait a few months for the weather to warm up.
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

If you don't weld, better body shops have been hanging whole qt panels for the last 5-7 years with great success with this, http://www.drillspot.com/products/453182/3M_8115_Panel_Bonding_Adhesive
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There was a break in the weather so I decided to give it a try. My plan was to try and do this without welding. I wanted to do it this way so people without a welder had some idea on what to do. This was my first time with body filler so keep that in mind if you try it this way.

The plan going in was to use a plate to replace the light. The hole is pretty deep so I used a 1/4 inch plate and rounded the edges so it would fit well. The pics below are from a cell phone. Sorry.

To protect the plate and entire area I decided to entomb it with some Bondo Fiberglass Resin Jelly. It is water tight and chemical resistant.

I sandwiched the resin to the back of the plate and all around the ground down hole.

I covered the back of the plate also so water would come in from the back.

Once the resin was dry (I let is sit about 45 minutes), I covered it with body filler.

From there is was primer and paint. I decided to give Duplicolor a try.

Duplicolor sucked. I ordered a can from paintscratch.com.

Unread 04-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

that turned out really good. That spot will discolor eventually, just depends on how long you leave it in the sun. Next time then you are near the end with the color, pull the tape and mist the last coat on that way you don't have such a hard edge, but that turned out good!
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
that turned out really good. That spot will discolor eventually, just depends on how long you leave it in the sun. Next time then you are near the end with the color, pull the tape and mist the last coat on that way you don't have such a hard edge, but that turned out good!
Thanks a lot and thanks for the tip. I was planning to roll back the newspaper so it would have a feather edge, but knowing the color didn't match I decided to wait until the new paint arrives. I'll sand most of this coating away and apply some spot putty before adding the paintscratch paint.
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
camera-man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

is this what your looking to do, because if so, its easy.

oops i guess i should have read the entire thread... lol what you did looks good, so you did it correctly.
camera-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I sanded down the edges and feathered the paint. It turned out a lot better. I'm still going to go over it with some spot/glazy putty and feather with the paintscratch paint.

Quote:
oops i guess i should have read the entire thread... lol what you did looks good, so you did it correctly.
Thanks. Yours looks great! Did you weld or fill?
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
bluefox_gt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wornder why they didnt do that from the factory?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.