Removing Herculiner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Removing Herculiner

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
GroundAssault
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Removing Herculiner

Does anyone know how to do this? I put it in last year and now want to U-Pol Raptor the inside. How do I remove the herc? Did a search and it was all on how to put it in or which liner is better. TIA

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
GroundAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
bhamilton5006
1998 TJ Wrangler 

whats wrong w/ the herc? I just bought some the other day!!
I would try scrapping it out and using acetone. the acetone will break up the adhesive in the herc!
bhamilton5006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
hulud44
2000 TJ Wrangler 

really ure better off just keeping the herc. if it didnt come out ok then just keep applying it till its thick. and ur really gonna have to break ure *** to get it off. but id say a really tough wire wheel is ure best bet.
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

try heat........
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
MarineJRM
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Xylene is what they call for to thin it in the instructions. I would think that you could easily put the raptor over the herculiner.
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
karlo

Here are the steps on how to remove Herculiner:

How to Remove Herculiner | eHow.com
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
GroundAssault
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks karlo.......Actually guys, the herc came out great. I just don't like how rough it is. I have been seeing the raptor and the smoother liners and thought that would be more my bag. I don't know if I am going to actually remove it now.

Aircraft stripper has to be one of the nastiest chemicals known to man.

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
GroundAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you do this be carefull aircraft striper is nasty stuff if you get on you it burns like h@ll and the fumes are bad also so do it in the open air. If this stuff touches the paint on your jeep the paint will be gone it will also melt the sole of your shoes and burn holes in your clothing. But it does work
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I found out welding close to it does a pretty good job of removing it too
Red Jeep club #8

97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
Was my daily driver, now son's college wheels.

Marseilles Fire Dept: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4461494...th/7659346164/
89YJmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

im just subscribing to this so i can find it later...thanks karlo!
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

According to the Herculiner site, you can't

Q: How can I remove HERCULINER once it's applied?
A: You can use Xylene while product is still wet, but if it dries,
it's permanent.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
vilseck21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used Xyl to get if off a garage floor, just pour it and let it sit, use about a quart per 5 square feet, then get a paint scraper, peel it off, then sand the rest down. Make sure you do it out side, and have a ventlator

Last edited by vilseck21; 12-26-2009 at 02:36 AM..
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
USMCEOD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good advice on the aircraft stripper. I have a third coat drying in my tub right now, and two of my seat bolt holes have herc in them. I had tape in them and over them, not sure how it happened....

I might drip some aircraft stripper down them before I tap and die the holes. Then again, I love my work boots, and I don't want to burn holes in them!
USMCEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
AggieTreed
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know it says on the herculiner instructions not to use anything other than xylene or acetone with the paint. I imagine some paint stripper should do the trick, and its more readily available than aircraft stripper I'd imagine.
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Buddy of mine recently used the herculiner in his truck bed,2 months later it was all scratched up,it didn't hold up well at all to sliding things in and out of the bed .

We used the Aircraft Stripper carefully,put it on with a brush in a cool dry area under a tree,then put saran wrap over it and let sit for about a 1/2 hour then peeled it up with a putty knife,re-applied the stripper where needed.
The saran wrap keeps it from drying out so quick and works longer,it dries up pretty quick on a hot day and won't penetrate much.

You have to be real carefull not to get the stripper anywhere you don't want paint stripped,that's why we used paint brushes and carefully put it on then let sit for a long time to do it's work and removed the saran wrap and let sit for a few minutes more so it dryed up a bit and wouldn't slop around when scraping with a putty knife.

Aircraft Stripper is nuetrulised with water,just wash it down with soapy water afterwards and then sand and prime to keep the bare metal from flash rusting.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.