removal of the side windows on a hardtop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > removal of the side windows on a hardtop

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
jlrenken
2002 TJ Wrangler 

removal of the side windows on a hardtop

Im looking to paint my hard top and was wanting to remove the side windows and was wondering how hard it is to do so and if the seals are reusable. also i was planning on painting the top with a rattle can tht has a light texture to it. the top is faded black should i just scuff the top and paint with the can and should a person put a clear coat on when finished for better pertection.

jlrenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went out and looked at my 2004 and the glass is glued in. So you will need to have a glass co. cut the window out a re glue it it when finished. The rubber you see is just to dive a better appearance. I think the cost will make it worth just using masking tape and newspaper.
Yes scuff it very well Wash off all the dust use a final wipe or brake clean and paint it. If its a rough finish rattle can then no clear. If you sand it smooth,and paint it like the new JKs, maybe matching the body color, then a clear coat would be appropriate. Naturally the better product the longer it will last.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just pull that rubber seal out and go to a Jeep dealer and order a new one...if I remember correctly they are only around 15.00 or so..i painted my old hardtop and went that route and replaced with new since mine were old and shrunken anyways......just tape up the glass well before painting..as was said,the glass itself is a glass sealer/glue,not real easy to take out...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.