Rear end damage, am I doing good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Rear end damage, am I doing good?

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear end damage, am I doing good?

I picked up this red Bmw in october of 2012, it was the first European car that I have owned. Ive only owned American vehicles prior.

I swapped a 1987 F-150

For this:

Apon driving it for the first time I fell in love with its power and maneuverability, Its fast with its 5 speed manual gearbox. The 3.0L V8 runs great.

(As you can see by the skid marks ^^ )

The car however did have a few issues. Its radio refused to have its security code entered, so I replaced it with an aftermarket.

The power seats adjustment cables were shot and had to be shortened using a technique I found on this site. Once that was fixed, my attention turned towards its rear end.

For such a nice car, it had been involved in an accident prior to my ownership, the rear of the trunk had been smashed in due to a rear end collision.

I don't have a picture of the original damage, those "Bullet holes" were there because we had used a pickup truck with a leaf spring ubolt going through the steel to pull it out to its relative shape, plus alot of rubber hammering and even bigger sledge hammers and a few car jacks. sprayed some cheap red spraypaint ( Its the exact same color) and then it ended up looking like a fat girls bottom. Psshhh

IT felt so WRONG taking a hammer to a BMW.

So after all that, winter came and I brought it into the garage to work on it.

Im not new to the car repair scene and have done a bit of wrenching. I have done some body work before, but nothing this serious. Oh well i'm gonna go all in on this one. So after a trip to the store for some bondo and sand paper. ( And dust masks!, safety first. )

YIKES. "You like this" That's how I rolled for the few months before winter

So down to the nitty gritty, apply bondo, sand, apply, sand, sand, sand. ~6 hours later...

Still looks like ****e.
After ~9 hours, its starting to form together quite nicely

Thats where its at for now, I have new lights on order, should get here in ~two weeks. And im going to be looking into getting a new trunk, this one is warped beyond repair, but it will have to do for now.

Whats your guys opinions on my work so far?

fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Allright, so bit of progress.

Started by priming it and painting it with one layer of red paint.

Its looking good, but that trunk is still messed up.

So off came the trunk, and after a trip to a scrap yard a new trunk lid was picked up

I pulled the wiring pigtail and lock mechanisms from the old trunk lid and got it all together, except the electronic lock. Mines a newer variant and i'll need to drill holes to mount it.

So the trunk went on... and... YIKES. Looks like my guesstimation was off a bit..

So tomorrow is fixing this issue, gona grind down the corner so it will fit. See how that goes. I dont thinks its coming along so bad, considering its the first time ive ever done major body work like this. Its only about 1/4" off, so a flappy wheel disc grinder will be used.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Went down today, and after a bit of grinding, the trunk is closing fine. even started to paint it. works coming along good. Got approximately a week to wait untill the new taillights arrive.

sitting kinda flush with the old busted lights in. that corner is bugging me a bit though, its too curved lol

rough sanding the silver trunk, primed and now a layer of paint
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just a quick mock up in photoshop, its gona look good.

Unread 02-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well im pretty happy with the way its turning out, got a bit of over spray on the windows (More wind outside then i had anticipated lol) , so i'll need to clean that
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not Bad.Im assuming you are dong all this in your heated garage?I just saw snow on the ground in one of those pics.Reason i am asking is because it is not good for the fillers or paint to do that in the cold weather..And as you found out already make sure you fit all your parts before you start to do your mud work...It helps tremendously.I don't know how much pulling you did on that corner before filling it but it looks like that mud is pretty thick..Shouldn't be over a 1/4" really..And it looks like yo are missing your body line that meets the trunk..Ok now that im done being a Negative Nancy..lol It looks pretty good over all..Cant complain..Good for a trade and quick fixer..
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, yeah definitely getting replacement parts first would have been a good idea, i was limited to the ammoutn of pulling and hammering as im doing the work in my apartment buildings garage, and i did not want to disturb the neirgbours. the paint was done outside, due to the poor ventilation in the garage.

Heres how it is now with the new lights, i just put in today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.