Real DIY Liner testimony? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Real DIY Liner testimony?

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #61
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar View Post
My compressor is 3HP 20gal thats 20 years old and needs rebuilt. When spraying Raptor using the Shutz gun it's not constant use like when sprayin paint. If you can maintain 40PSI for five minutes you'll be fine. You don't really have to worry about starting or stopping in the middle of a panel. It just won't matter. You can do it.
Yeah thats what is great about spraying. You could probalby do it trashed out of your mind, not remember even doing it, and it would still look good.

ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #62
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

can you paint over monstaliner after cured?
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #63
RedTeej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Herc is okay-I prepped it well and for about $100 I'm happy with it. You can't control how thick it goes on,and some areas just look better than others. If I did it again I'd find something to spray on, but again, for $100 I'm happy with it.
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #64
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
can you paint over monstaliner after cured?
Yes you would just need to scuff surface if left to cure more than 3 days.

To paint over Monstaliner months/years after install and the surface has been used, soiled, etc. you would want to clean really well with degreaser if needed then detergent and then scuff before painting.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #65
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Herc is okay-I prepped it well and for about $100 I'm happy with it. You can't control how thick it goes on,and some areas just look better than others. If I did it again I'd find something to spray on, but again, for $100 I'm happy with it.
Products that use crumb rubber to make texture (Herculiner, Durabak, etc) can be inconsistent if you are not careful when
rolling and if you don't continuously mix the coating during use.
The rubber particles settle in the liquid and you can get heavy, gloppy texture in some places and light texture in others.
This is what we worked so hard to eliminate when we created our product without any rubber.
Monstaliner is like rolling mayonaise and the bumpiness made by the roller does not level out after its applied.

Last edited by magnetman; 04-01-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #66
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You know, I never realized it when we were rolling, but I was worried about it running on the sides. I never thought that it would stay. The bumps are a perfect example for why it does. Now that I think about it, the tailgate was the same thickness on the top and bottom. It never occurred to me before.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #67
rusteehawk71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gotta add my two cents here and I have not read through every post but.....I used the Bondo brand bedliner initially and hated it. Stay away it is not user friendly. Next go round I bought the dupli-color brand that is sold in Walmart and at Advance Auto, purchased the spray gun as well. Worked awesome. After much trrial and error the best way is to mix a gallon of the bedliner with about 1 cup of mineral spirits tehn mix for about 5 minutes, adjust the air pressure to about 45 psi and it goes on like butter. Dries in about 20 minutes and you can add another coat. So far I have done my Jeep frame, inside and outside of tub, 3 pick up truck beds and two sets of nerf bars. All have come out good and withstand the sand and salt adn -30 temps of far northern NY winters.
rusteehawk71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #68
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusteehawk71 View Post
Gotta add my two cents here and I have not read through every post but.....I used the Bondo brand bedliner initially and hated it. Stay away it is not user friendly. Next go round I bought the dupli-color brand that is sold in Walmart and at Advance Auto, purchased the spray gun as well. Worked awesome. After much trrial and error the best way is to mix a gallon of the bedliner with about 1 cup of mineral spirits tehn mix for about 5 minutes, adjust the air pressure to about 45 psi and it goes on like butter. Dries in about 20 minutes and you can add another coat. So far I have done my Jeep frame, inside and outside of tub, 3 pick up truck beds and two sets of nerf bars. All have come out good and withstand the sand and salt adn -30 temps of far northern NY winters.
thank you "rusteehawk", that is the kind of post I had in mind when I started this thread. Real dudes with their real experiences with different procucts. Not a running advertisement for Monstaliner.

I did want to know about Monstaliner but prefer to hear it from at home DIY'ers not professionals. I enjoy learning and doing things myself with my Jeep. Some things turn out great... some things not so much. That is all part of owning a Jeep though.
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #69
rusteehawk71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your welcome timmayham, to me it just boils down to what you want to spend. I like the duplicolor because I can run down to the local auto parts store and buy it whenever I want. Plus for about $120 I can get 2 gallons of it which is what I use because it puts the thickness down that I prefer. Monsterliner does sound promising but I tend to do stuff last minute and dont want to wait for a box to get here. Again, personal choice prevails.
rusteehawk71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #70
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmayham View Post
thank you "rusteehawk", that is the kind of post I had in mind when I started this thread. Real dudes with their real experiences with different procucts. Not a running advertisement for Monstaliner.

I did want to know about Monstaliner but prefer to hear it from at home DIY'ers not professionals. I enjoy learning and doing things myself with my Jeep. Some things turn out great... some things not so much. That is all part of owning a Jeep though.
Sorry if we started to sound like one large running ad. I would just like to point out that I am a DIYer though. I actually have had experience with most liners professional and DIY, but I will admit I am yet to see raptor, so I can't comment on that stuff.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #71
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

so I think if I roll on I will try the Montsaliner. If i get brave and decide to spray that raptor is the popular choice. This "Jeepforum" thing is good.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #72
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmayham View Post
so I think if I roll on I will try the Montsaliner. If i get brave and decide to spray that raptor is the popular choice. This "Jeepforum" thing is good.
Monstaliner is sprayable as well

YouTube - MONSTALINER
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #73
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I see the video quality is greatly improved for that video. What did you end up doing?
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #74
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I see the video quality is greatly improved for that video. What did you end up doing?
That's the same video. I'm still playing with quality improvements. Found a program that clams to convert SD to HD but I don't see much difference
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #75
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

impressed, the Montsaliner looks pretty good. Look forward to hearing about some long term results after it has been around for a while.

I'll probably end up doing my linings late this summer or this fall... Bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins for towing duty. Awesome truck, but not real condusive to pouring more money into the CJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.