Real DIY Liner testimony? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Real DIY Liner testimony?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 11-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Real DIY Liner testimony?

I'm looking to line the inside of my tub. Problem is that everyone claims that their product is the best, Herculiner, Durabak, Monstaliner, etc. I and I am sure many others would like to know some opinions from real people and fellow Jeepers.

timmayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
shamrok911
1995 YJ Wrangler 

prep, prep, prep & more prep. i used the walmart stuff in my yj, & the only place i've had it peel is where i rushed the prep work in the driver's footwell. everywhere else it's been great. if i had it to do over, i'd probably do the prep right & maybe pay for the herc, just 'cause it has a texturizer that the duplicolor didn't. hope it helps...
l---L--?lllllll?-
▒) ▒)--♂-▒)
shamrok911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have to agree with doing the best prep you can do. I only have experience with Herculiner and Al's Liner. I sprayed and rolled Herculiner. It looks better sprayed, but it is still thin and fades quickly. With that being said, Al's Liner is by far better than Herculiner. It is thicker, more rubbery/grippy feeling, and hasn't faded at all. I dropped my rear seat on it taking it out earlier today and it didn't leave any marks. You get what you pay for.
Whobeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Mttrek360
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Prep is key. I love my U-Pol Raptor Liner. You spray it rather then roll it. It lets you really get in all the tight places very easily. Here's mine;

Unread 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
jeffsyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I also used wal-mart stuff. Seems fine so far.
Nightcrew #227
jeffsyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Another vote for Raptor liner. I can't stand the look of herculiner...looks cheap and ugly and very hard to get clean, also it fades fast because of no UV protectant. Raptor looks professional and is rough...but not too rough and easy to clean and has a UV protectant in it so no fading.. To be honest, i think roll on liners (monstaliner and herc.) while they may be a good product, are a waste of time, you can't control the thickness and quantity that goes on. With a spray on liner such as Raptor, you control the flow of the spray and how much comes out of the gun.

Here is mine.

the texture

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Mttrek360
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So? Whacha leaning towards?
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i wanna know more about this raptor liner.. cuz im thinking of lining my hardtop with it.. sorry for the hijack. just interested.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompatt View Post
i wanna know more about this raptor liner.. cuz im thinking of lining my hardtop with it.. sorry for the hijack. just interested.
It's a spray on bedliner, you get a gun and it runs off an air compressor. Usually you would spray about 45-75 psi. I sprayed at 100 cuz my regulator was broken and well....you see my results Anyway, It will adhere to your hardtop...but you have to clean it very well. Someone lined their flares in it and it stuck just fine so i dont see a problem with a hard top.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
It's a spray on bedliner, you get a gun and it runs off an air compressor. Usually you would spray about 45-75 psi. I sprayed at 100 cuz my regulator was broken and well....you see my results Anyway, It will adhere to your hardtop...but you have to clean it very well. Someone lined their flares in it and it stuck just fine so i dont see a problem with a hard top.
i have my bumpers and fenders line-xed and this hardtop im buying.. the guy said he would do anything.. paint or line. dont think he has line-x tho.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Not a problem, hijack away! This was my whole intent on this thread, lets get good information to the masses! Heck I may have to go out and buy a bigger Air Compressor so I can spray my own... Cost effective maybe not, but a great excuse to buy more tools.
timmayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

One thing I did to help keep air built up in the compressor was to put a valve at the gun where the hose connects. I shut it off when I was moving around and when I was refilling the gun.
Whobeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is mine:

Well I was looking for a liner to put down in our project K5 blazer at the shop and was debating between herculiner, U-POL and rhinoliner or lineX. There is no budget with this build but I have used the roll on herculiner in the past and was really impressed with it for the money. Then came along Monstaliner and after some discussion/research I was sold and figured we would give it a try. Check out monstaliner.com for more details about the product. The big selling point for me was the finish. I really hated how hard it was to clean the herculiner being how gritty it is. The monstaliner had a much smoother finish more like some of the spray on liners. The kit comes with everything you need and has some very detailed instructions that I highly suggest you reading if its your first time using the product. It will save you a lot of headaches and time while installing the Monstaliner. After having this stuff in our blazer for over a week now I have to say I am pretty impressed with not only the finish but the durability. I will update this thread in the future with how it last long term but I have no doubts it will be holding up great.

All photos were taken by AMCPHOTOS: more pics can be found at Zenfolio | AMCPHOTOS

ONE OF THE FIRST SHOTS WE HAVE OF THE RIG

MONSTALINER AND ULTIMATE COLLISION CENTER

ADDING THE CATALYST

MIXING

THE MIXER SUPPLIED WITH THE KIT

SCUFF THE AREA TO CREATE A NICE SURFACE FOR THE MONSTALINER TO BIND TO BUT DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY DOWN TO BARE METAL

CLEAN THE AREA

PRIMER ANY RAW METAL

POUR SOME MONSTALINER INTO THE SUPPLIED TRAY

USE A BRUSH TO GET ANY AREAS THAT WOULD BE DIFFICULT WITH THE SUPPLIED ROLLERS

USING THE SUPPLIED ROLLERS TO LAY DOWN A NICE THICK FIRST LAYER

MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER TO PUT GLOVES ON OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE WEARING MONSTALINER FOR A FEW DAYS

BEFORE

AFTER FIRST COAT BUT STILL WET

AFTER A FEW DAYS OF CURING

UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I looked at the upol writeup on here and that sold me. I plan on using it when I do my tub off restoration.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
mfalik
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've used Herculiner in my XJ and Durabak in my YJ. Both products hold up well. The Durabak was more expensive but offered a variety of colors. Like everyone else stated before PREP IS IMPORTANT.
2007 Mazda CX-7 (the new commuter car)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer (Rear Ended - TOTALED)
1998 VW Beetle (SOLD)
1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited - (SOLD)
mfalik is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.