Raptor Lined my Hard Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Raptor Lined my Hard Top

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
usanoe
2008 JK Wrangler 

Raptor Lined my Hard Top

Made two attempts at painting my hardtop with black paint rattle cans with unacceptable results so I decided to use Raptor Liner on it. Must have had wax and/or grease still on the top. Because of this, I did an additional step and cleaned it thoroughly, then sprayed a self etching primer on the top of my hardtop. I did not do this on the sides, back or two front pieces of the freedom top. I do not notice any difference between these areas now that I am finished.

I ordered the kit (U-Pol Product 0820V) off of eBay. This kit came with the spray gun. I did see some kits that didnt, so make sure you get one.

Other items I used:
Paint Thinner - to clean the gun between coats and once youre done.
Scotchbrite General Purpose Pad - to scuff hardtop prior to painting
Acetone - to clean off overspray from any unwanted areas
Rubber gloves
Painters tape

One of the most important things you need to do is tape off any areas you do not want overspray to get onto. Taping can be a pain but well worth it as cleaning off the overspray was much harder.

The instructions say to use between 40-70 psi so I set mine at 60 psi.
Shoot the sides first so you are not tipping the bottle sideways allowing the liner to leak out of the top vent hole in the gun.
Also, keep the gun pointed directly at the surface being painted rather than an angle or the material in the liner will skip across the surface making it look like small worms.

Here is after the first coat.

Instructions say to let it dry at least 60 minutes between coats. here is immediately after the second and final coat.

I used 1 2/3 bottles on all three pieces of the top. It appears to have come out really nice. Once it completely dries and I get it installed, Ill take some more pictures.

Since i had some left over, i also shot an extra rim I had in the garage.

Last edited by usanoe; 07-09-2011 at 03:12 PM..
usanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
CaptAmerica219
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How has it held up?
CaptAmerica219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
karlo

It turned out really nice. By the way, any prep you did for the rim?
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
kashoggio

Should of taken the weight off the wheel first... Other than tha, looks cool

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkRed"]"Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion."[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-tj-rubicon-skittles-build-1152944/"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Lime"]MY JEEP BUILD [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=226258"]ITEMS FOR SALE [/url]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/polish-jeepers/"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]POLISH JEEPERS CLUB[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/url]
kashoggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAmerica219 View Post
How has it held up?

I want to know, too.
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.