Raptor line the exterior of an xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Raptor line the exterior of an xj

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Raptor line the exterior of an xj

Ok I'm sure this has been covered before but I can find an answer. So I want to know if I buy the tintable raptor kit, would that be enough to do my entire exterior of my Cherokee. Also what kind of paint do I use to tint the liner, just regular automotive paint or does it have to be special or will rustoluem work. I'm looking to use a bright yellow. Any info would be great.

90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Bump..........
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Any body?.......
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Wow nobody has any info on this, thats a first for JF to let me down. It's ok I understand. Lol
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
gtome

Man im sure it can be done, and has been, but that stuff would not be fun to wash!! I saw a VW with it like that and I thought it looked like hell. But thats just a personal preferance. I would contact the manufacturer for tinting procedures.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

one other thing to think about is UV protection. I dont know how the raptor liner works but I do know some of the other liners need a uv additive. I think washing would be fine cause you can just use a pressure washer. I hear its all in the prep work. are you starting from bare metal or just trying to go over your paint job and how does that look? If you are the first please post some pics of the process.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
gtome

I read about a guy that used this: Durabak Company; Truck Bed, Marine, Boat Ship Industrial & Workplace Non-Skid Coatings. and said his jeep will take the bark off trees and not leave a mark on his rig. Looks like it is $120 a gallon (for UV protected), has a rough or smooth finish, and I think it comes with a roller to apply. Just another option. There is a writeup here too: http://durabakcompany.com/bodypaint.htm
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Hemi08
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Man im sure it can be done, and has been, but that stuff would not be fun to wash!! I saw a VW with it like that and I thought it looked like hell. But thats just a personal preferance. I would contact the manufacturer for tinting procedures.
I know the guy that owns the VW and he swears by it. I also saw a sportbike with it applied (to deflect cop's radar he said LOL) and my question would be if you like cleaning it with a bristle brush then you're all set. However between cleanings, the pores are going to hold the dirt and look like crap.
Hemi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
gtome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi08 View Post
I know the guy that owns the VW and he swears by it. I also saw a sportbike with it applied (to deflect cop's radar he said LOL) and my question would be if you like cleaning it with a bristle brush then you're all set. However between cleanings, the pores are going to hold the dirt and look like crap.
Yeah that guy thought it was great! I stopped to ask him about his aftermarket sliding ragtop.... and he was telling me how great the car was painted with that. I didnt have the heart to tell him it looked like total crap. Super nice guy though, and had his daughter with him. To each his own I guess.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.