Quick crash course on painting parts. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Quick crash course on painting parts.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quick crash course on painting parts.

I am wanting to paint some parts of the Jeep and just need to make sure im not missing any steps.

-Sand
-Paint
-Clear coat

I know that is very vague, but is that pretty acurate for painting parts.. i.e. tie rod, suspension coils, etc...

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

-Clean parts with dish washing detergent to remove grease and oils. Some solvents leave behind an oily film.
-Sand
-Apply 3-4 light coats of paint 15 minutes apart, use a timer.
-Clear coat is optional and not required.

Epoxy appliance paint and Rust-Oleum Hammered Finish give better final results and are better quality paints that will last longer. Cheap paint is cheap, for a good reason.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
-Clean parts with dish washing detergent to remove grease and oils. Some solvents leave behind an oily film.
-Sand
-Apply 3-4 light coats of paint 15 minutes apart, use a timer.
-Clear coat is optional and not required.
This is exactly what I was looking for... didnt know about the solvents...

Quote:
Epoxy appliance paint and Rust-Oleum Hammered Finish give better final results and are better quality paints that will last longer. Cheap paint is cheap, for a good reason.
Ive used the hammered finish for patio furniture before, it does a good job, so I will probably go that route again.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

don't forget the primer.
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Muddeprived

I have a half gallon can of Rustoleum hammered paint that can be applied directly over rust (sanded down a little). Will this fare ok on coils? I know coils flex and stuff and will that crack and peel the rustoleum paint?
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

^^^^ I don't think paint will take the flex of coils. Powder coat would be the way to go on those. But hey give it a shot. If its doesn't work your not out much and that is how we figure stuff out.

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Marctwayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.