questions about taking my jeep from bare metal to clear coat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > questions about taking my jeep from bare metal to clear coat?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Goobersbro

questions about taking my jeep from bare metal to clear coat?

Okay so my boss is buying a media blaster and I'm going to split it with him he has some projects to do and I want to take the jeep down to bare metal and start over....So once down to bare metal I'm going to prime the whole thing in self etching primer....then spray sunset orange....then clear coat it....So here are the questions.

When priming does it need more than one coat????

Do I need a base coat...I have heard some say you do with a matalic some say you don't...??? I'm doing the sunset orange its the copper looking color on the vets...if I was to do a base coat what color should that be like silver????

I have seen guys say about 2 quarts.....sound about rite????

Also how many coats of clear coat? I will be using a HVLP gun to paint the whole thing.....

Last question do I need to sand the self etching between it and the first coat of paint?

Unread 04-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Fishtank
1983 CJ7 

I paint for a living. I'm also a paint section guru on nastyz.com the 70-81 Camaro owners forum. 25,000+ members.

You can get a great finish by:

SPI makes a great epoxy primer. Google Southern Polyurethanes.

DuPont NASON brand high-build primer 421-19 over than. Lets you sand the panels flat and straight.

The basecoat is the actual color you will be using. 2-3 coats of it and then..

Clearcoat to protect the finish. The clear can be sanded and buffed to a brilliant shine.

See some of my work on my shop webpage: Welcome to Speed and Performance on the paint and body page.

Questions? email me mark@hammerheadkustoms.com
Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Goobersbro

Thanks fish.

WHat I meant by base coat was when I was reading. I read that if you primer than do a silver base coat then sunset orange you will get more on the copper side of things....if you just shoot the sunset you get more orangish red....
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Fishtank
1983 CJ7 

Yes colors change by the base under them. It will depend on the brand of paint, the number of coats, etc. but you get the idea.

What brand of paint are you looking at? Sometimes that determines the amount of color due to transparency. As for clear, rule of thumb is 7 ounces per panel per coat. Say a hood would be 7 ounces X 3 coats (allowing to color sand and buff) equals 21 ounces of clear needed. A gallon or so usually does a car. Hope this helps.

PS I chose "fishtank" for a username because all the other JEEP type usernames were taken!
Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Goobersbro

I'm not sure I'm going to check with a local automotive paint store in town and see what brand they sell....all the paint shops and painters in town have recommended them.....I know I want a medium grade paint.....like I don't want to go overkill and spend a ton of money on the paint job but I'm also not looking to rattle can it and if I can paint the jeep and it look good for 7-10 years I will be more than happy

I'm in the very beginning stages of all of this....All I've ever done is shot the paint on and sanded and prepped as far as buying the paint and all the steps in making the paint job look good I'm still a noob at....My friends truck when it was done looked good but it was a 15 foot paint job there wasn't any runs but it definitely could have used more prep work and if it was mine would have gotten the deserved prep work
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Fishtank
1983 CJ7 

Just a suggestion...Let's paint your car!

I know the guy who made it and it's pretty good
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Artisan
1979 J-Series Truck 

Are YOU a Professional Painter in the Los Angeles SGV Area?

Sup all,

Hey accept my appologizes for the hijack but....

By any chance is there an expert painter wanting a side / upfront job then shoot me an email;

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.