Question RE: Loctite & Body Mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Question RE: Loctite & Body Mounts

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
simspace
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Question RE: Loctite & Body Mounts

I am installing a body lift kit and I am curious if I should use red or blue loctite on the body mount bolts.

Based on what I read in the loctite tech specs, red seems like overkill to me. But it is my sons Jeep and I want him to be safe, especially when he goes off-road.

I'd appreciate your opinions!

Chris

simspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
nolanbalzarini

im not 100% sure on this, but i think that a bolt with red lock tight can be removed if you heat it up.
so use the red and it wont come off unless you want it to
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
simspace
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your response nolanbalzarini. You're right, high heat is needed for separation.

I think it would be better to ask: Would be safe to use Blue Loctite on body mount bolts?

Here's why...

For now, I am doing a tub restoration, body and suspension lift. When I can financially afford to, I will be doing an engine swap and other updates that will be easier with the body off.

The tub restoration includes welding chunks of flooring that I had to cut out because 8 of the 10 body mount bolts snapped. Once the welding is done, the body mount nuts will no longer be accessible for heating.

So I'm leaning towards Blue Loctite because:
  • The tub will be coming off within the next two years.
  • According to the Red Loctite TDS, parts must be heated to 482F for separation.
  • Having installed a new 3" lift kit, I'm concerned that heating a very long, 1/2" bolt to 482F may take a while and in the process will damage the nylon lift blocks.

Thanks,
Chris
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive worked on trucks and cars in the rustbelt for the last 40 years and I would use anti seize and not locktite. The only body bolts Ive seen come out are the ones that were left loose. If you are going to take it apart soon no locktite. I believe you are overthinking this.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
jameslinn83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I second the anti sieze. Then check them for tightness after a couple rides. If they are still tight no worries.
jameslinn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
simspace
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome guys. Thank you!
I appreciate the advice.
Anti-seize it is.

-Chris
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
ToledoDave

Factory body bolts have Green locktight on them. I also reccomend using antiseize and not locktight. If for what ever reason you cant remove the bolt your surely not going to cut open your floorboards to heat,cut,or replace the nut. The bolt wont come loose. The Isolator has a metal sleeve that tightens against the body and the bolt. If you locktight that bolt i def would not use red for reaons your not able to heat the nut without cutting the floorboard open.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.