question on painting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > question on painting

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
my1986cj7
1986 CJ7 

question on painting

I have a jeep I'm wanting to paint now the jeep has been painted before with a one stage blue paint over the original gold paint. MY question is do I have to take it down to bare metal or can I just rough up the blue paint with some fine sandpaper and spray over the top of the two coats. The blue is not chipped but just faded and I want my jeep a different color.

my1986cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
my1986cj7
1986 CJ7 

ok I have another question which is better single stage paint urethane,enamel, or acrylic lacquer. I want a good paint job. Doesn't have to be show quality, but I'd like the best results as possible. This is on a trial rig so I want one that is durable. Also do I need to put a primer on a one stage paint if I just sand it down and repaint it. Thank you for any help.
Unread 12-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Indy

Generally you only need to remove the gloss from the last coat so the next will stick. Primer will even the color so the finish is also even, but for basic paint its not needed. Base/clear will give better results than single stage, it also needs more prep work. Bad prep makes for bad paint. Single stage is a little more forgiving.
Unread 12-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Generally you only need to remove the gloss from the last coat so the next will stick. Primer will even the color so the finish is also even, but for basic paint its not needed. Base/clear will give better results than single stage, it also needs more prep work. Bad prep makes for bad paint. Single stage is a little more forgiving.
How does bc/cc require more prep work???
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your just looking for a color change and there is no issues with the existing paint just sand it with some 800 dry on a DA or some 1000 wet. Remove all the gloss. Then follow up around the edges with some grey scotch brite.( I prefer not to wet sand because of the mess and the water getting into every crack. ) blow off, wipe down, tack off then apply your top coat. No primer is needed if you havent cut through anywhere. You can use bc/cc or s/s urethane. Either one will be a good choice. Each has is pluses and minuses. If youve never sprayed before id probably lean towards the bc/cc due to the fact that when you run it (yes you will) you can cut the run out of the clear without being noticeable. When you put a hanger in s/s more often than not it leaves a dark mark where it was. If your doing a metallic its almost mandatory for BC/CC if youve never sprayed before.
Unread 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
How does bc/cc require more prep work???
The glossier the finish will be the more minor flaws will show up in it. So it needs more prep work to be closer to perfect. Single stage will hide more flaws. Single stage matte (think grey primer) will hide EVERYTHING. One of the main reasons you want to be wary of buying anything with fresh primer that is being sold as "ready for paint". Odds are it's far from it.
Unread 12-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
my1986cj7
1986 CJ7 

I know it's not recommended to shoot metallic paints as your first paint job but this is the color we picked so any advice for a first time painter besides trying to paint some other things first?
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
The glossier the finish will be the more minor flaws will show up in it. So it needs more prep work to be closer to perfect. Single stage will hide more flaws. Single stage matte (think grey primer) will hide EVERYTHING. One of the main reasons you want to be wary of buying anything with fresh primer that is being sold as "ready for paint". Odds are it's far from it.
Horsecrap.
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

[quote="Indy"] The glossier the finish will be the more minor flaws will show up in it. So it needs more prep work to be closer to perfect. Single stage will hide more flaws. Single stage matte (think grey primer) will hide EVERYTHING. One of the main reasons you want to be wary of buying anything with fresh primer that is being sold as "ready for paint". Odds are it's far from
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1986cj7
I know it's not recommended to shoot metallic paints as your first paint job but this is the color we picked so any advice for a first time painter besides trying to paint some other things first?
I need more info, what kind of set up do you have... Compressor, gun, positive air flow( booth) exhaust, heat, whats your climate, how much do you plan to spend, and quality.?
Unread 12-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
my1986cj7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
I need more info, what kind of set up do you have... Compressor, gun, positive air flow( booth) exhaust, heat, whats your climate, how much do you plan to spend, and quality.?
60 gallon compressor with 12 cfm at 40psi cheap harbor freight gravity feed gun no booth and will be in the spring. In southeast Missouri. $500 in paint and primer the extras will be just that extras. And the best I can do in quality.
Unread 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think your gonna max the compresor especially doing a complete. Nothing wrong with DIY but i think youd be $$$ ahead and happier if you did all your own prep and bought materials then took it to an earl scheib or maacco and hired the painter to spray it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.