Pvg mango tango in spray cans - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Pvg mango tango in spray cans

I am on my latest Wrangler. It is a 2010 JK 2 door Sport. I am contemplating a set of half doors.

The paint code is PVGA Mango Tango Pearl Coat.

Finding a set of OEM doors, my color, will not be easy. I just missed a set on craigslist, but they were sold fairly fast and they were something like 500 miles away from me in New Jersey. The asking price was $1650.00 IIRC but they were complete with soft uppers, electric door locks and a pair of OEM mirrors.

Can I buy this factory type paint by the quart or gallon and apply it using the rolled in paint job method and then spray clear coat it using lacquer in spray cans?

BTW I did do a ROPJ on my '95YJ and the articles is posted in the Sticky section in this section of JF. Or, just Google up my rolled on paint job. It is the first link that usually pops up

So my question ultimately is: Is there a huge difference in Rustoleum and these factory paints? Can they be applied using a foam roller?

Or do any of you have a set of JK half doors that are PVG Mango Tango Pearl Coat for sale, and you do not live half way around the planet!

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 AM
oldjeepman60
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would check at Automotivetouchup.com to see if they can match that paint your looking for. I bought the flame red for my jeep in spray cans and clear spray also. Couple coats it looks good . But I have just done small areas.Just ordered the touch up paint pens for the wife bug..

AEV Hi-Line and some stuff
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeepman60 View Post
I would check at Automotivetouchup.com to see if they can match that paint your looking for. I bought the flame red for my jeep in spray cans and clear spray also. Couple coats it looks good . But I have just done small areas.Just ordered the touch up paint pens for the wife bug..
Just got a minute to check that site out. Unfortunately they do not offer my paint code/color

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....

post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 AM
oldjeepman60
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry was worth a look..Good luck finding what you need

AEV Hi-Line and some stuff
post #5 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeepman60 View Post
Sorry was worth a look..Good luck finding what you need

I'm also thinking about calling around to the local auto paint shops and see if they can give me an estimate on painting them for me. It may be easier to just strip the doors of the inner panels, etc. and hand them off to the paint shop. I will ask them if they can color match them to my particular Jeep. That might be a bit of an issue and more expensive.

The other alternative is to paint them a OEM jeep black. It would probably look pretty good since the Jeep is either Mango Tango Pearlcoat or Black already!

Has anyone of you out there in JF land had a set of half doors painted by a professional?? How much $$$ did it cost?

post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The thing with colors like the mango pearl is to get that kind of look its a multi step process. White base, color and then a pearl clear over the top. This means not cheap at a body shop. All blacks are the same unless it has a metalic in it. The doors are a great project to learn on. A base and clear coat black from Kirker at AutoBody tool mart would be one way to go. Still not cheap but you could end up with a really good looking job. Prep the doors, lay them flat so there is less chance of runs, paint the black and then clear them.
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/kir...1-p-19170.aspx

This kit has most everything needed with a lot more paint so you could also do other stuff like bumpers. I didnt see the colors for 254 but I didnt look hard.Ive painted a couple of vehicles with these products and got excellent results.

If doing just doors you could get buy with a small compressor and a Harbor Frite HVLP paint gun

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
The thing with colors like the mango pearl is to get that kind of look its a multi step process. White base, color and then a pearl clear over the top. This means not cheap at a body shop. All blacks are the same unless it has a metalic in it. The doors are a great project to learn on. A base and clear coat black from Kirker at AutoBody tool mart would be one way to go. Still not cheap but you could end up with a really good looking job. Prep the doors, lay them flat so there is less chance of runs, paint the black and then clear them.
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/kir...1-p-19170.aspx

This kit has most everything needed with a lot more paint so you could also do other stuff like bumpers. I didnt see the colors for 254 but I didnt look hard.Ive painted a couple of vehicles with these products and got excellent results.

If doing just doors you could get buy with a small compressor and a Harbor Frite HVLP paint gun

Ron

Thanks for the wealth of information. I was told to hang the doors BUT laying them down makes more sense to me. I was concerned about a by runs also. We have an long established business in a town nearby That was once Named Paquette's Auto Paint Supply in Fall River MA. They are now named ABSP or Auto Body Supplies & Paint. I want to give their employee John Costa a HUGE shout out! I dropped in on their store and talked to John about my project. I wanted to get paint that was color matched to my vehicle. I wanted it in all in spray cans. The primer is gray primer. He said that was easy for him to do! He gunned my JK's paint job and custom mixed enough paint to fill five 12oz spray cans of paint and in addition two 12oz cans of gray primer. Out the door spending $210.62. I expect a decent job but if they are not perfect it will not be the end of the world as we know it. I did the My Rolled On Paint Job sticky here in JF. I will wet sand during this process and to get a high gloss finish using wet sanding and a buff out. AND most importantly I will blow out, vacuum out, suck out my garage for this half door paint job this time! I have a positive flow full face battery powered respirator that the pros use also. I will do a write up and take a few pictures on this project and post my results later on here on JF. Again thanks for the input.
Now, I am NOT going to hang the doors to paint them now that you mentioned the possibility of runs. I don't want the runs.......of any kind!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.