Proper primer for bedliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Proper primer for bedliner

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
jdlester73
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Proper primer for bedliner

I recently tried using Rustoleum's Truck bed liner. The surface was prepped really good but apparently I used the wrong primer as it blistered/bubbled once I applied the bed liner. A friend found that I used enamel primer and said that was the problem. He said since I used a wire wheel on my grinder and took it down to bare metal again that I wouldn't need a primer for this stuff since the metal is really scratched (the liner would grip). The directions say to prime but gives no indication of what type (hence my misfortune of using the wrong type). I like the bed liner and will use it again as it looks and feels great over the areas with the original paint on it, I just don't want to do this a 3rd time.

jdlester73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Call the # on the Rustoleum bedliner and ask them what to prime with.... Then if it fails they can pay you for more bedliner to do it again. Honestly, they will know better than anyone here what products work best together.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
jdlester73
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
Call the # on the Rustoleum bedliner and ask them what to prime with.... Then if it fails they can pay you for more bedliner to do it again. Honestly, they will know better than anyone here what products work best together.
I will give that a try. I emailed the tech. support several days ago and haven't received anything back. Hopefully the phone lines give better service.
jdlester73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Red00Tj

enamel primer is kinda a double negative you don't want enamel primer because its shiny and the reason its shiny is because there is a small amount of clear coat substance mixed with it well paint/bed liner cant stick to clear coat so you have to use a FLAT primer i typically go to wal mart and get their cheap grey primer and it works great also if you really want i would rub the whole floor down with rubbing alcohol before priming jsut get it extra clean. i mean if your spending that much time and money whats another 10 mins and 5$? just to be safe. then spray primer and then bed line it send some pics im interested in the Rustoleum bed liner but not sure how it turns out as a finished product

(Rustoleum will tell you to use their primer but its the same basic thing as any cheap flat primer but it has their name so its ganna be more money) just FYI
Red00Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Depending on what bedliner is used, you're dealing with different solvents that are part of the formula in each product.

Many general purpose primers can be attacked by the solvent that is in an automotive topcoat or bedliner in this case.

The OP had used Rustoleum Road Warrior which has a high content of Xylene (aka: xylol)

This solvent will attack a regular primer and blister as he described.

You need what is considered a "non-lifting" primer. 2 part automotive epoxy will work here.
Also if you have an industrial paint supplier near you, ask for a "phenolic modified" primer that won't lift under strong solvent.
These primers are only 1 part and easy to use. They can be brushed on and they dry fast to topcoat

Sometimes this type of primer is also called a "non-sanding" primer
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.