Professional Line-X Vs Herculine DIY - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Professional Line-X Vs Herculine DIY

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Professional Line-X Vs Herculine DIY

I want to line my tj's interior but I'm unsure which route to take. Obviously there is a big difference in price and if I screw something up its my fault. Other than that is herculine that much worse? How much sanding is involved? Are there any tools i need that i may not have?

Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The X will win on quality, durablity and color holdout. The herc cost a lot less. General tools to remove seats ect. Either way that will save doing the dis and reassembly your self. Both will do the job. I have not done Herc but Ive done Durabak and it held up for 10+ years. A good clean and sand with 80 grit will get you ready. Figure the seat removal and prep will take about 1 day to do a good job. Another 4-6 to line it.
Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used to work at a Line-X shop...

The Line-X will be better at everything obviously, thicker, non fading (if you get UV topcoat) tougher. We line-xed trucks that had been herculined and it was such a pain removing old gross looking herculiner. I would rather leave my bed/tub the way it is than put that tar in my bed. It looks terrible and doesn't even protect well. I would never put a DIY liner in after seeing them. The only thing about Line-X is $900 is tough to swallow to line the inside of your Jeep. That's the only reason i haven't done mine.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just got a quote for 630 from my local shop so now I'm thinking again after i bought the herculiner kit.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
austinjs

I've used Herculiner before. Took me a while to figure out it didn't save me that much money after I calculated the cost and man hours it took to repair it. Wish I went Rhino Lining or Line X from the get-go!
austinjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
aguelzo89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just recently Herculined my interior of my XJ, and thus being said i think for the money, it can't be beat. If your in a tight pinch and trying to save money. Heruliner will do the job. I had applied mine over a span of 3 days and i have 5 coats on her. Took me just over a gallon. Went mudding, and has so far been holding up great. Texture is rough but im assuming it will wear with use. If you have the money by all means Line-X or Rhino it man, but if your looking to save some money; Herculiner won't do you wrong.

As for prep work. I spent about 2-3 Hours sanding with 80 grit with an orbital sander.. I roughed it up pretty good. I may have went overboard but I also didn't hit every single spot. Wiped everything down with degreaser and just jumped right in. Herculiner is some tough stuff ill give them that. Im thinking about Herculining the underbody now just by how strong this stuff is. If you don't mind the labor and saving some $$$. Herculine it. If you got the money to spend, go the other route.
aguelzo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I Herculined my interior this past summer. Prep is everything and should not be skimped on. I spent 5 hours roughly hand sanding, then followed up with tack cloth and finally wiped down with MEK. Like previous people have said, this is at least a 2-3 day job.
image-591227405.jpg   image-1529001254.jpg   image-3453407615.jpg   image-845712021.jpg   image-930419270.jpg  

Ferrachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwolfer View Post
I just got a quote for 630 from my local shop so now I'm thinking again after i bought the herculiner kit.
Well, if you go with LINE-X, you know you won't be disappointed.

Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
austinjs

Looks like really well done. You'll be enjoying that durability for a very long time I'm sure.
austinjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also check out Monstaliner in the Vendor Fourm section, I think it is a much better alternative to Herc. I just recently finished my interior and engine compartment and am very pleased with how it turned out. Check out my build thread.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
4S50
1984 CJ7 

I used "shake and shoot" on the interior of my cj7 and had the paint shop tint it to match my exterior paint. Texture is similar to line-x and it has held up well. I have line-x in my pickup and it is definetely tougher but i am glad i went this route in the jeep

image-4014455121.jpg
4S50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.