Primer ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Primer ??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 06-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
gator4ever
1978 CJ7 

Primer ??

Will applying a coat of black primer help me achieve a more uniform paint job? My jeep/hunting buggy has some scratches and dents that I have fixed with Bondo.

I was thinking that the black primer will get the entire jeep the same color then I can paint it.

any thought??

gator4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its always a good idea to primer all one color before spraying the color coat,if not,,yes,,it can easily cause different shades here and there.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
gator4ever
1978 CJ7 

Thanks iron worker. Would black be my best choice for a primer color?
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That always depends on the color you are spraying..some colors will even come with a tech sheet that says the best option for a certain color primer for easier/better color coverage.

For example,I used a VW Metallic Reggata Blue for a project and it said to specificaly use a black primer to acheive the best shade and coverage it was intended to be.

But as far as camo colors,flat/semi colors..etc or just an enamel or such..grey is usualy the most used since it's the most common available.....

Black or grey will work on just about anything,unless your looking for a specific exact match of a color your shooting for...

But

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
YJgearhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's a good point, DuPonts brand use ratings for the individual colors. For the Chromasystem they use values of 1-7 from white to dark gray that correspond to the sealer coat to use under the color like Ironworker said.

Now if you're new to painting and aren't familiar with this or you're using just rattle cans for a cheap paint job, then any primer would color would work. I don't think I saw anything that said what color you we going with. Now that would have a lot to determine what you should use.

Sent from my phone because I should be doing something else right now
YJgearhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
gator4ever
1978 CJ7 

I am going to paint my jeep OD Army green. I would imgaine that grey would probably work better than black ?
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine with the black if thats what you already have..the army OD green is a high solids color..great color coverage

Never forget 9/11

Unread 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
gator4ever
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
You'll be fine with the black if thats what you already have..the army OD green is a high solids color..great color coverage
That is what I need coverage to cover the screw ups from 34 years of running it in Florida swamps.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.