Prepping steel tube fenders for paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Prepping steel tube fenders for paint

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 05-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Prepping steel tube fenders for paint

Hey all. I just scored a used set of TnT tube fenders for my TJ, and after spending 3 days grinding, sandblasting and scraping multiple layers of powdercoat, paint and undercoating off... I was wondering how you all think is the best way to prep the steel for paint.

There was some rust where two pieces of the steel came together and where the tube and flat parts were joined...

1) Ospho? And any tips on using it?
2) POR-15 for the non-exposed areas (to sunlight)
3) ...?

Unread 06-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You mentioned you sandblasted some of the paint off. Why can't you just sandblast away the rust off of the rusted areas? That would be the best method, and spray Ospho on those areas right after. Once the rust is gone, I'd spray 1 or 2 coats of 2 part epoxy primer (using a spray gun, not a rattle can). Followed by 2 or 3 coats of high build primer. Fog on a guide coat, and start block sanding with 220 grit paper. Any low spots will be evident by the remaining guide coat. Either shoot more coats of high build primer, or if the areas are really low, spread some plastic filler over them. Keep priming and sanding until the surfaces are flat. Rub the fenders down with 400 grit paper, blow it off, tack rag it, and you're ready for paint.
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The rust is in between spot welded pieces and under the tube itself. Sand blasting didn't work there because the area would fill with media and render it ineffective. I used some sandpaper in there, but its built up. AND I'm having a hell of a time finding Ospho in this town (El Paso). Half the paint supply places have never heard of it. I guess its because of the climate out here.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
The rust is in between spot welded pieces and under the tube itself. Sand blasting didn't work there because the area would fill with media and render it ineffective. I used some sandpaper in there, but its built up. AND I'm having a hell of a time finding Ospho in this town (El Paso). Half the paint supply places have never heard of it. I guess its because of the climate out here.
I don't know what the climate has to do with it, but go to your nearest Lowe's. They have a product that is the same thing as Ospho called Jasco Metal Prep.
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
I don't know what the climate has to do with it, but go to your nearest Lowe's. They have a product that is the same thing as Ospho called Jasco Metal Prep.
I finally tracked the Jasco Prep down. Same thing as Ospho. Thanks! Got them installed and broke a hood latch... time to make my own Drake style tomorrow.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.