Prep in wheel wells and engine bay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Prep in wheel wells and engine bay

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
rpenczek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Prep in wheel wells and engine bay

Two questions on the same basic topic.

I have pulled the engine from a 95 YJ and am in the process of stripping the body of its various parts (top hardware, roll bar padding, spare tire bracket, flares, etc...) I also plan to remove the windshiled, hood, tail gate, doors and related hinges (to replace with stainless).

Anyway, to my question(s).

What is the best way to clean up the fender wells and engine bay to prep for paint? I believe for the engine bay I need to degreese and then scuff (I have no rust issues (yay) - what are the best (easiest) products to get the job done? For the fenderwells I am really not sure. Still no rust issues, but lots of tar and other grime. Is there a way to clean these up with less elbow greese as opposed to more (I do not own a blaster)?

I plan on painting both areas with POR and then a top coat. Any thoughts will be appreicated.

rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
gtome

Maybe buy a can or two of brake cleaner and see what that does. Maybe a plastic 2" paint scraper??
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.