Por 15 on damaged rocker behind rocker sliders? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Por 15 on damaged rocker behind rocker sliders?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Por 15 on damaged rocker behind rocker sliders?

I have another post but realized the title is a little off..this is more appropriate.

Help..haha so I took my rockers off, I am going to buy some with a step. I was over the diamond plate, want a smooth surface rocker, it looks more like a clean look. At least to me. SO, after hell ripping these damn things off, which were put on with black caulking..this is whats left over.

Tips of removing the left over adhesive..and which steps are best to take before putting new rockers on? There is damage on both sides (bent in) so I don't know if a gasket or something along the lines is necessary or would work..I read a bit on POR-15 which i conveniently have a lot of sitting in the garage from my dad..should I just paint over the area and put the new rockers on? I don't ever plan to run without rockers. Also, different holes are going to be put in the body for the new rockers.thanks guys

imag1461.jpg   imag1463.jpg  

My build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-college-build-1186424/
wrscpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The most important thing is to do your best to KILL or slow the rust. If not taken care of it will only grow faster covered up by the new rocker gaurds. There are a few ways to stop the rust like sand-blasting,grinding and cutting out the bad metal and welding in new. Scraping off the old caulk and seeing what is left is a good start. I prefer to have a good epoxy primer under all areas that will corrosion prone. As salt water will get between the body and new rocker gaurds. So the back of the rocker gaurd will need to be protected also.
A steel scraper will help to remove the caulk. You can have a pair of rocker guards made at a steel fabrcation shop. Or buy a ready made set. Once they are mounted up a tiny bead of silicone caulk around the whole perimiter will help seal out moisture from entering. Sadly nothing stops rust. Maybe not driving in the winter.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
The most important thing is to do your best to KILL or slow the rust. If not taken care of it will only grow faster covered up by the new rocker gaurds. There are a few ways to stop the rust like sand-blasting,grinding and cutting out the bad metal and welding in new. Scraping off the old caulk and seeing what is left is a good start. I prefer to have a good epoxy primer under all areas that will corrosion prone. As salt water will get between the body and new rocker gaurds. So the back of the rocker gaurd will need to be protected also.
A steel scraper will help to remove the caulk. You can have a pair of rocker guards made at a steel fabrcation shop. Or buy a ready made set. Once they are mounted up a tiny bead of silicone caulk around the whole perimiter will help seal out moisture from entering. Sadly nothing stops rust. Maybe not driving in the winter.

Ron
There is minimal rust right now around where the holes were drilled and the paint is chipped around the hole. Other than that there really isn't rust. But while taking these off the paint got scraped and now there are bare metal spots. That's why I was thinking of just putting por 15 over it (after cleaning it all off). I can't really put caulk around the perimeter of the new rockers because the body is dented so they aren't going to be a flat snug fit on the body..So I guess my question is really just can i simply clean the body area off as best I can and painting it with por 15? Thanks for your input

My build:
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
AbAngler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I consider myself a bit of a POR-15 expert. Sad because it means I have dealt with alot of rust. POR-15 actually "binds" better to rust then to clean metal. With clean metal, you need to use an etcher which can be purchased from them as well.

For your application, I'd clean it all up to bare metal (doesn't have to be perfect), etch it then POR-15. After the POR-15 has dried, rough it up with a fine grit sand paper, then spray a few coats of whatever paint you want. That way you've got a few layers of protection.

Good luck!
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe my eyes are tired but that sure looks like rust at the front an back and around the bolt holes.
Make a plate to back up against the new rocker guards so it sandwiches the original body back into shape. Tighten the mounting bolts and all will be straight.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Maybe my eyes are tired but that sure looks like rust at the front an back and around the bolt holes.
Make a plate to back up against the new rocker guards so it sandwiches the original body back into shape. Tighten the mounting bolts and all will be straight.

Ron
The pictures are actually decieving..I took these pics as soon as I got the rockers off..those spots are actually just dirt that wiped right off. I will take you plate idea though. Thanks

My build:
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
I consider myself a bit of a POR-15 expert. Sad because it means I have dealt with alot of rust. POR-15 actually "binds" better to rust then to clean metal. With clean metal, you need to use an etcher which can be purchased from them as well.

For your application, I'd clean it all up to bare metal (doesn't have to be perfect), etch it then POR-15. After the POR-15 has dried, rough it up with a fine grit sand paper, then spray a few coats of whatever paint you want. That way you've got a few layers of protection.

Good luck!
Sounds simple enough to do! I just wanted to make sure I was going to be able to fix the scrapes that will come about getting the caulking off This plan seems to be the best option. Thanks!

My build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.