Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Plastic/Lexan Hood

13K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  SubBass100 
#1 ·
#4 ·
i don't know about as a hood, but lexan is sweet. it is used for rc car and truck bodies and is extremely durable if not indestructible. Lexan is a brand name of polycarbonate, which is what the material is. it has a melting point of 310 degrees Fahrenheit. so you should be good to go with it as a hood as far as temperatures go.

#5 ·
and it should be much much lighter than the stock steel hood,

and to add to its coolness, since it is clear you can paint the underside of the hood (with paint that can withstand the temperature of course) so you have the color showing through but you will never get a scratch in the paint!

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies, that's some good info ragnarok_bf2... The only thing keeping me from picking one up now is relocating the windshield washer sprayers... how hard do you think it would be to do so? I think they are mounted to the hood, I will have to check when I get home...

I am also considering the "thrasher" hood for the price: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370363&page=7

it's not available from trent fab anymore but from here:
BRTech Racing | Evanston, Wyoming | Lexan™ Lightweight Hood Manufacturer

hmmm... does anyone know how much a stock hood weighs? These are like 5 ibs...

#9 ·
well i own a yj and our sprayers are not on the hood. im not sure what a tjs looks like but lexan is easy to drill and cut, so however a tjs sprayers are held on it shouldnt be too hard to fit them. if you got a pic from the top or bottom of the hood i could maybe help a little more with that part

#14 ·
I am not too big on clear, just a bit too flashy for me... But that's why I am thinking about the thrasher hood, lightweight, and I could just paint it to match my factory color...

And about the washers, they are on the hood, but I couldn't get a pic today... I think it will be pretty easy to relocate on the new hood (if I get one...)

thanks

#19 ·
I've installed a smoked black Lexan hood on my Jeep TJ. I made a video on the install process too here http://www.someonesbigger.com/2013/02/24/installing-a-lightweight-hood-on-a-jeep-wrangler-tj/ . I love the hood, for the amount of head turns I get driving down the road it is totally worth it. I've had it through a winter with no problems as well. It's fun to watch your engine warm up and melt the snow just enough so when you stop it slides off in one big piece. I want to throw some lighting under the hood for when I'm in park.... I mean hey why not if you can see through the hood right? If only I installed window washer nozzles underneath for when it gets muddy :laugh: but over all I'd say get one if you need to replace your hood anyway.:thumbsup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.