Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Pictures of rust, need prep and primer advice.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  CrankyD 
#1 ·
I got this Windshield frame out of the junkyard, There is significant rust and pitting under the WS seal area. I plan to feather into the non rusted area, sandblast the rust then naval jelly to got it chemically. After that I am thinking etching primer followed by epoxy primer then final with surfacer and sealer. If it makes a difference it appears to be a galvanized frame from a 1995 yj. Thanks in advance for any input on the strategy.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If its a vehicle you care about I would replace it. Sadly the rust will return. To give your self a fighting chance pour a good rust stopping paint like Rust opium into the inside of the frame and slosh it around. Tape over the openings. It makes a big mess so do it over the grass or gravel not the garage floor.Then a good epoxy primer.
Ron

#3 ·
I ended up treating the rust with evapo-rust with mixed results. Some rust remained, and I sanded/ground/wire wheeled that down to a manageable amount. I then used epoxy resin and glass Bi-axial cloth to back up behind the pinholes. That was a disaster, I thought I remembered the ratio but I way under mixed it and it never kicked. I ended up mixing up an over hot batch and brushing over the sticky resin, it mostly worked but it was still a mess. However after three weeks and several coats of catalyzed epoxy primer I can finally sand it out! Yeah! Re open this thread in three years and see how it's doing! I also came across a pristine YJ WS frame in the junkyard this weekend, half price! My balls hurt...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.