Part of the jeep bent...I think - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Part of the jeep bent...I think

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Part of the jeep bent...I think

So I picked up this 92 YJ for free from someone who was about to just junk it. It runs good with a 4.0 and 129k on it and original trans. It needs somebody work done on the part of the tub that connects the windshield to it. Well it needs a lot of body work and a paint job but this spot is most concerning to me....Its bent and the passenger door will not fit. I enclosed some pictures below. Am I just SOL here or is there a way to bend this back or even replace that entire panel? Is the underbody/frame actually bent? Do I need an entire new tub? Passenger side seems fine.

Liquified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dont need a new tub but you do need some work. It can be done. Fyi, its not a 4.0 unless its been swapped, its a carbureted 4.2
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
Dont need a new tub but you do need some work. It can be done. Fyi, its not a 4.0 unless its been swapped, its a carbureted 4.2
No carburetor here, fuel injection. From my understanding all 92 YJ's in 6 cylinders came standard with the 4.0 FI.
Unread 05-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Kind of hard to see with only small pics. Front end accident or was the door the cause?
4 liter high output in 1992

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I think that was the case with the front end damage driver side. Almost appear the fender was replaced and the brush guard seems to bend down slightly lower on the driver side.

I just wonder if its even possible to get it bent back so the doors will fit. It needs to come back about half an inch to an inch and windshield and cowel need to be replaced. You can also tell on the roll bar above the door. Instead of a hex nut going in the slot where you adjust it towards the back of the door frame its been welded rather then a nut as see in this pic

and here are a couple more angles. Looks like some tried to take a hammer to this thing at some point to straighten it back so now thats going to have to be smoothed out.

Unread 05-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

To me it looks like the door was hit when opened or the rig was traveling backward and the door hi something solid Thats why the door is crushed. How about a pic of the whole drivers side?

Registered Six Offender
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The hood gap is good and the front of the cowl and tub are square. Jeep doors will basically fold over on the body without damaging anything. I think it got laid into a tree right there. Theres alot of damage but its easily fixable. Try to find some body sections from a junk yard.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

After taking the original step up flare off and the rail on the windshield for the soft top I think the tree theory seems a lot more likely. You can see the windshield was bent back and the crack in the side under the flare. You think cutting out body sections and replacing new ones or is there a way to properly bend it back? Obviously i'm replacing the windshield.

Love how someone took a sharpie to the jeep logo.

Unread 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Once again it looks like the door was hit when open or run into something while open and reversing.. I say this because the damage is all moved forward of the rest of the lower windshield frame.
The bottom is just old fashion poor rust repair.
Ron

Registered Six Offender
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
Liquified
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Whatever caused it I don't know but to bend back or to cut and replace a section is the million dollar question
Unread 05-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Straighten the damage you have unless you are a qualified welder. Cutting out the damage and welding in a new piece is a job that if not done properly will cause more problems than just leaving it. You will also risk setting the wiring under the dash on fire. If the damage came from the rear, the windshield hinge mount needs to be pulled toward the rear of the vehicle. This could be done by remounting the hinge and pulling it with a come along tied to the roll bar using the proper angle to remove the vast amount of major damage.

Registered Six Offender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.