Panel repair with mig - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Panel repair with mig

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 09-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Panel repair with mig

I saw a video of a chap welding in a new panel on a car. He created a flange on the old panel as opposed to butt welding and welded the seam continuously. .
I kinda like that idea. Or how about overlapping slightly and plug welding then using bondo to blend the two in. You could waterproof the back to prevent water from getting into the seam. Ant thoughts?

Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter
I saw a video of a chap welding in a new panel on a car. He created a flange on the old panel as opposed to butt welding and welded the seam continuously. . I kinda like that idea. Or how about overlapping slightly and plug welding then using bondo to blend the two in. You could waterproof the back to prevent water from getting into the seam. Ant thoughts?
Neither. Both methods are for hacks. Look at my thread title " Some work" you can see how to properly repair/ weld in a panel
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Theres all sorts of issues with both. Lets start with the flange. First and foremost it will allow water to get behind both pieces of metal and will rust, two, it looks like *** from the back side, three, its a hack method. Five, no one welds a continuous bead on sheet metal. If you do you might as well throw the panel out in the street and let a forklift run over it, it will be so warped.
The plug welds then bondo is just NONONO. Asking for rust and the bondo to crack. Those two types of repairs are the kind that gypsies do on rebuilders. Crap like that gives guys like me a bad name.
Unread 09-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

When I said continuously welded I meant a whole bunch of stitch welding. Looks like you do superb work. What is the reason for the notches and tabs in your panels. How do they come together. Butted up and welded?
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter
When I said continuously welded I meant a whole bunch of stitch welding. Looks like you do superb work. What is the reason for the notches and tabs in your panels. How do they come together. Butted up and welded?
Those are for Clekos. They hold the panel in place without clamps etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.