Paintins over Chrome Wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Paintins over Chrome Wheels

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 04-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
vetteman9368
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Paintins over Chrome Wheels

Just picked up a YJ and hate the chrome (rusting) wheels. No money for new wheels right now so i was going to just paint them satin black. Any Advice?

vetteman9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
250psd
1997 ZJ 

Paint won't stick well to chrome. You have to bead blast them or ruff them up pretty good to get a decent finish.
250psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I painted my chrome spare wheel/tire that i have. Paint doesn't stick well to chrome so scuff them up and prep them as best you can and use a good self etch primer before you paint. It still may chip off easier than if you were painting bare metal. I painted my spare about a year ago and it still looks good
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sandblast em, a buddy of mine just did that and then hit em with some krylon and clearcoat.......turned out great.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.