Painting your own rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting your own rims

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
jeeplibertybrah

Painting your own rims

Does anyone know a link that will give you the best directions on how to paint your own rims including all the materials needed? Don't have the cash to buy new rims so going the cheaper route for now. Want to do a really good job on it. Don't want it to look like crap. Doing this right!

jeeplibertybrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
79CJ7dude
1979 CJ7 

Have you looked into getting them powder coated?
79CJ7dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
jeeplibertybrah

If its expensive its out of the question lol
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
79CJ7dude
1979 CJ7 

I used to know how much it cost, but I can't remember now how much it was. But I don't think it was too much. And it should hold up a lot better then just paint.
79CJ7dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
skipj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of material? Steel or aluminum ?
skipj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
jeeplibertybrah

Aluminum
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
GadgetGuy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of painting my aluminium rims at the moment that were badly neglected by the PO. I started by using a wire brush to remove all debris off my rims all the way down to the metal ( or primer coat if it's still in good shape). I then used 180 grit sandpaper to remove any remaining paint/debris left over in the hard to reach areas. Once the rims are down to bare metal, I cleaned them real good with varsol ( any degreaser will work I suppose, varsol is my go to product for these types of jobs). Make sure to dry the rim surface completly before continuing. After cleaning the rim, apply some primer. I like to put 3 coats on, and follow the directions suggested on the can. Same thing with the 3 paint coats then 3 clear coats I apply after. I never bother trying to sand down the primer, paint or clear coat... it's just a waste of time IMO. I've done a few set of rims this way and they always turn out great! I would post some pics but I don't think I can yet. Supplies should cost about $60 for a set of rims.
GadgetGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
nygiants
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have steel rims so I can't talk but take the wheel off, prime it, paint it, and clear coat it it'll look best that way. Clear coat is the way to go that's how mine look
image-3880332982.jpg  
nygiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
JeepinJer
1999 WJ 

If you're looking the cheapest route, prep as the guys above mention... Make sure you rough it up enough so that primer will stick. I dont have pics, but I had American Racing aluminum wheels. The clear coat was a bit thick, so prepare to sand quite a bit, all the way to the aluminum. I used 2 coats of self etching primer, let it dry over night, and used 3 coats of epoxy paint in a rattle can. It turned out really well. The biggest thing with painting is being patient. If you paint too heavy it will run, especially the stuff in rattle cans. The only issue I had is when I had to fix a hole in my tire, the idiots at Big O tire chipped the hell out of it when they were taking the lug nuts out. I just kept a spare can for touch-up.

This is what I used to for primer
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=246429_0_0_
This is what I used to paint, they have gloss too if thats what youre looking for
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=465708_0_0_
JeepinJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Judging by your username you have a Liberty, I don't know how much off road driving you do buy if it isn't a lot then just use plasti dip on the wheels. No sanding or priming needed and if you spray it on thick enough you can peel it off when you're tired of it. I went a little overboard with the stuff on some other vehicles but it held up for over a year.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplibertybrah View Post
If its expensive its out of the question lol
I charge $60-75 PER wheel to coat them, so moderately expensive considering you can buy Cragar wheels for the same cost.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Sorcarms

I recommend you check out Plastidip if you're just looking to coat 'em black with like $20 and a day off. It's like a rubber coating. It's matte, got no sheen to it. Plenty of people around here spray their wheels with it and it looks good. No need to scuff up your finish on your wheels or anything. You can peel it off if you get sick of it and it's very easy to touch up if it gets scratched.
If you take that route just google search "painting wheels plastidip" and I'm sure you'll get a ton of results w/ how-to's and pictures and all that good stuff. Hope that helps.
Sorcarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.