Painting an XJ --- Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting an XJ --- Questions

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Painting an XJ --- Questions

Hey Jeep Aficionados,

So I have pretty much come to the very healthy conclusion that my XJ's paint is totally and completely destroyed. It's got nice deep 5 inch scratches on it, faded & oxidized to the maximum & just not in the shape that I want it to be in if I want to restore it back to factory. I'd like to re-paint it the factory Black again but I'm not sure if I should put the time in to paint her myself or if I should leave it to the professionals. Keep in mind I am sixteen years old and funds are limited but I am willing to save up to have it done right. The lowest quote I found to have her painted was $1,200.00.

Somebody also suggested doing ALL of the prep work myself and then just going in to the auto body shop to have the paint laid down. I am considering this route also because the prices seem to drop dramatically if it is done this way. So I suppose my final question is...

How do you prep a Jeep XJ for paint and what materials are needed to do this job? Thanks in advance for ALL your answers, guys! I know I could search but my computer is being slow and I don't want it to freeze...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-xj-se-1513890/
TABonifacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have an air compressor? To prep a jeep your gonna want one.. After that youll want a orbital sander which can be purchased at harbor frieght for fairly cheap.. Get yourself some sandpaper in grits 80, 180, 320 or 400 and some 600.. Youll also need some scotch brites and some filler/bondo..

Once ya got all that, youll want to start by fixing any damaged areas, and your deep scratches.. Use the 80 grit to sand those damaged areas only if your using filler on it.. You dont want to sand the scratches all out.. Instead, sand the ares with the 80 grit and use filler to fill the scratches or else you will have low spots in the final finish.. Sand the filler with 180 or any areas that filler isnt used but there is some chips or lighter scratches..

The rest of the body needs to be sanded with the 400 grit paper and needs to sanded to the point to where there is no shine in the paint.. Get it all good cuz prep is key to an overall good paint job... Anywhere your sander cant reach you need to use red scotch brite and scuff those areas..

Once all that is done go back to your repair areas and primer (rattle can primer is fine but if you have bare metal showing get a self etching primer) and prime all those area covering all the 180 grit sandpaper marks.. Once its all dry go back and sand those primer spots with some 400 grit paper and that should get you close to being painted.. I like to do a quick once over with some 600 grit paper just to make sure sand scratches dont show through the new paint job.. Once your to that point im sure the paint shop can handle the rest and save yourself some greenbacks.. It can be done as my xj is now rescue green.. Did it all myself start to finish..

ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

First off let me say thank you for taking the time to write out a detailed response, because believe me I do appreciate it. Secondly, your XJ looks MEAN! I love the paint job on it. It looks really different. Again, thank you for the response, I'll be starting painting soon and you can catch the process in my build thread.

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Use NAPA #7220 or an equivilent if going the rattle can primer route. Take off any mouldings and emblems, the belt w/strips (at the base of the door windows), lights, etc. You don't want to have an edge at those areas that will start peeling back in a year or so.

If you have a pinhole issue, small little holes in your body filler, get a tube of "Icing". It is a catalyzed putty that will fill them, and minor chips and scratches and sand easier than body filler, but is not as hard, so don't get much over a 1/32 to 1/16 with it.

Take your time and do one panel at a time till you are happy with it. Above all don't get discouraged, and it will want to happen unless you have done it before.

Good luck.

I DA'ed mine with 320, wrapped up the flares, glass and mouldings and rattle canned it with 2 coats of Rustoleum satin in sage green, shell white and a taupe tan in a camo pattern since it is a trail rig and will get scratched and beat on. Makes for a quick fit at home or camp, Been on 4 years now and still looks decent.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Amen.. As goldhammer says, take your time and remove all the trim, lights and anything else that would be taped up otherwise.. Thanks for the compliment.. My jeep took me two years to complete.. But that was doing alot of extras like the cut and fold wheel openings and rear quarter tuck.. I also bedlinered the interior.. Since i changed the color i had to completely tear down all the doors, hatch and everything but you wont find any of the stock color anywhere on it.. Just post up if you have any issues and ill try to help..
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you Goldhammer for your detailed instructions! WOW? TWO YEARS? That's a long time! What was your XJ's original color?

Unread 05-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lol.. It only took that long cuz i was working on it in my spare time.. Im sure if i focused on it i could of been done in a month or less.. Mine used to be gray and i used doors, hood and fenders off my old red one that i have posted if you check out my profile.. It was totalled.. The only reason for painting the gray one was because i had a rather large branches fall on the front end and took out the hood, fenders and dented up the roof..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.