Painting with Rustoleum spray cans... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting with Rustoleum spray cans...

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Painting with Rustoleum spray cans...

I'm in the process of coating my new Rokmen gas tank skid and rear bumper. I sanded the bare metal with 400 grist then cleaned everything with acetone first. Hit it with a few coats of Rusto Self Etching Primer then a wet sand with 400 grit again.

Now that I'm ready for the top coat I'm looking for some tips on getting a quality finish . Will be shooting Rusto Semi-Gloss. Is it ok to put on a few coats then wet-sand when it's fully cured, and then hit it again?

img_6742.jpg  
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Nightstr
1969 CJ5 

Dupli color spray paint works the best in my opinion. I hit my tacomas played feont bumper with aome dupli about two years ago now and it still looks good.
Nightstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just spray it in several light coats,no need to sand in between coats if done within the same day....the common rustoleom will cure enough in 15 minutes to 1/2 hour for recoats...it best to get all coats on before fully cured,for the fact your getting a "chemical bond" verses a "machinical bond"

I the case of needing a good tough enamel,i prefer rustoleum over dupli-color,its a much tougher product

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Just spray it in several light coats,no need to sand in between coats if done within the same day....the common rustoleom will cure enough in 15 minutes to 1/2 hour for recoats...it best to get all coats on before fully cured,for the fact your getting a "chemical bond" verses a "machinical bond"

I the case of needing a good tough enamel,i prefer rustoleum over dupli-color,its a much tougher product
Interesting point about chemical vs mechanical bond. Never considered that. With this project I did four coats of black over the self etching primer. Not totally satisfied with the coverage and would like to hit it again. Tomorrow night the required 48hrs will be up for drying. Think I should give it a wet sand at this point or just spray away?
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It would never hurt to sand it again,if anything not sanding it could be a downfall,so sanding it again would be extra insurance

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
It would never hurt to sand it again,if anything not sanding it could be a downfall,so sanding it again would be extra insurance
Alright, thanks for the info. Will give it a shot.
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
Alright, thanks for the info. Will give it a shot.
How did this turn out? Any Pics?
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj View Post
How did this turn out? Any Pics?
Hey, sorry it took me so long to post some updates . So far I've painted:

Rokmen Rear Bumper
Rokmen Gas Tank Skid
Rokmen Sliders

I started all of these parts off with an acetone wipe-down, 400 grit sanding, then another acetone wipe-down. I then shot everything with Self-Etching Primer, followed a few minutes later by the first coat of Rusto Semi-Gloss Black. I went with several light coats a few minutes apart, then when I had everything totally covered with Semi-Gloss Black I let it all dry for 48hrs. With the size of these parts it's difficult to get nice, even coverage so after the 48hr dry time I inspected everything closely. If I felt as though I didn't have enough coverage in a certain area I lightly sanded with 400 grit, wiped clean then shot another layer or two of paint.

For all of these parts I must have used 8 cans of Rusto Semi-Gloss plus maybe 6 cans of the primer. Started getting expensive . It's a time consuming process due to the drying times but if you're patient and do it right you'll get good results : . Also, get yourself one of the grip attachments like in the pic below. Makes a HUGE difference and it's only $7. Your finger will thank you!

Next up will be painting my rims with Rusto wheel paint :
img_6792.jpg   j-kl.jpg   6342623.jpg   img_6791.jpg   photo.jpg  

Unread 09-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

oh nice! looks awesome.

I have a question about the hardness of the paint. How long did you have to wait until the paint fully hardened? I painted a couple items a few weeks ago, with I believe the same kind of paint, and even after a week of drying it still seems to scratch pretty easily. Then maybe after two to three weeks, it seemed pretty hard. What was your experience with the hardening process?
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard that it takes weeks for the paint to fully cure but don't have any solid facts on that. I painted my GenRight front bumper using the same method last summer and it's held up VERY well. I haven't scraped it across a rock or bashed it into anything yet though. Either way, I don't expect any paint to remain if any of these parts encounter rocks/trees etc. But that's the great thing... just break out the spray can and cover up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.