Painting rust spots - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting rust spots

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Painting rust spots

So I plan on redoing my zj with marine paint. The question I have, since it is a roll on paint do they make an automotive roll on primer? Would something like kilz or zin bison work?
Here or the problem areas

image-3587213824.jpg

image-3296219299.jpg

image-4095328239.jpg

jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
AF-Jeff
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...pair-made-easy First get rid of the rust properly and then do some research into painting with rollers. I've seen it done but never one myself.
AF-Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Need to sand out the worst of it, use a rust killer like RustMort or equiv. then a self etch primer, rattle can would work, that is compatible with your marine stuff(your supplier can help there.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That whole area is peeling. I'd remove all of it.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
That whole area is peeling. I'd remove all of it.
Not really set up for that at all. But yes it's all peeling down to the primer. Somebody has painted it in the past and my guess is it was to hot out and the paint didn't bond to primer before it dried.
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
dailyyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you should sand blast the rust you can get a little hand held blaster at harbor freight cheap then use a rust killer I've always like using ppg 579 scrub it in then wipe it dry before it sets up the use an etch primer over that. you can roll on most any automotive primer. ppg actually has a roll on set up. it doesn't really matter how it goes on as long as it's mixed properly and let cure before sanding. and yeah you need to get rid of all the paint that's peeling but anything you put on over that will eventually peel loose as well. your paint will only stick as good as the substrate your putting it on. good luck
dailyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
rhino1
2008 JK Wrangler 

it all depends on if you want to do a lot of work and not have to worry about it or do a lot of work and know its coming back, to do again. If your not set up for it, find a shop that might would be willing to take care of just the rust and peeling paint for a small fee. What I would do in my shop is use a small sand blaster that I have to get the pitted rust out and clean up the surface rust. Then I would DA sand all the paint off to the metal and prime the entire hood using a direct to metal primer. Not all primers are designed to adhere to bare metal. I would do all this is one day, cutting the chance of surface rust or flash rusting. When you say you arent set up for that, if you dont have a compressor to work with air tools, the next option would be a wire wheel and a drill for the rust. Then a lot of hand sanding unless you have some electric sanding equipment or can borrow some. Use 60-80 grit to knock off all that flaking/peeling paint to get down to either metal or the primer they used from the factory. It should "feather" out. a smooth transition from one layer to the next, nothing flaky or peely... then prime it. Let the primer dry, sand it, then paint it as early as possible while the bugs arent out and the bust isnt blowing around yet. Keep it under a shelter tho. Google auto paint supply stores in your area. They can offer a ton of info and usually carry low, mid and high level products. I dont know how far you are from savannah, but Im right outside there.
rhino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Thank you all for the great info.
Unread 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The quick and easy way out is to use Chassis Saver over that rust. It's made by Magnet Paints, the makers of Monstaliner.
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89
The quick and easy way out is to use Chassis Saver over that rust. It's made by Magnet Paints, the makers of Monstaliner.
How easy is it to paint over. Worried about look just a little cause it is on the roof, so it doesn't have to be great.
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowak View Post
How easy is it to paint over. Worried about look just a little cause it is on the roof, so it doesn't have to be great.
No harder than any primer. However, you must paint over it within a specified window of time if you want the paint to stick to it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.