Painting a radiator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting a radiator?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
jonblack
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Painting a radiator?

I am thinking about painting my radiator red on my black LJ. There is just something about the bare aluminum that I don't like. I have read up on the heat transference and as long as you use the correct paint it should not be a problem. I am just wondering if anyone has done this, or something similar to their Jeep before, and please provide pictures if you have.

jonblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
ZAP

Not to sound like a smart *** but why not just get some grill inserts?
ZAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Indy

Paint, any paint, will act as an insulator, the radiator will not work as well. More than likely it will be fine but if its on the edge of not working well enough it may tip over the edge. Id just rattle can it if it was me.
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive painted dozens black so red should not be a problem. From rattle can to automotive paint. I did it for looks and to protect the brass.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
karlo

Yes, radiators can be painted with black or any color, and the cooling system won't be affected. My friend works in a repair shop and they can paint them.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
paparker21
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Do not paint or otherwise coat your radiator fins with anything. It's simple heat transfer and material properties - metal is more conductive than the compounds that make up paint therefore you will reduce the cooling capacity of your radiator. It may not be catastrophic, it could just cause your fan to run more or your thermostat to open sooner.... But in the right conditions it could also be the end of your engine. Why risk it?
paparker21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rad...ack-paint.html they sell that, but I just used a light mist from cheapo black rattle cans, and it worked fine & looked great.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well every radiator I have ever seen with the exception of the Aluminum ones are painted Black, and I assume they are not as they generally look good. That said if you want to paint them you should be OK.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ View Post
Well every radiator I have ever seen...... are painted Black,
Do your research. I've read somewhere there is a Thermo-chemical reason for this fact.... and may even be specialized paint.
How cautious I'd be would depend on how hot it gets where I live, I guess.
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Thin coat of paint on your radiator shouldn't affect its cooling capacity noticeably. Yes, paint is an insulator. However, it's not so effective an insulator as to severely impact the efficiency of most modern radiators. Bigger concerns than the paint on the radiator fins include bent fins, bugs in the fins, antifreeze-water ratio, air density, thermostat temperature, and a number of other factors. I have a lawnmower engine that's obviously air cooled and it runs just as well with a coat of paint, than it did before I cleaned it up and painted it. The same principle applies.

While it's not something I'd do, myself, just out of preference, it's not something I would expect to impact performance in any noticeable way. Just don't use a thick, high-temperature enamel like a brake paint. Krylon should suffice.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
MarkwithaK
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well I'm not an expert in radiators per say but I do have extensive knowledge of condensing coils on air conditioning systems and i know that the funcionality of the two is exactly the same. Air moving across the tubes and fins dissipate the heat from the cooling medium....in this case anti-freeze. Coating a coil/radiator on anything will diminish it's ability to dissipate the heat. In the case of the condesnsing coil the heat builds up and with the pressure which causes the compressor (comparable to your engine) to run hotter and hotter. Some do come black from the factory but that is not paint, it is a special epoxy coating. Factor in that spray paint contains plastics and this just has bad idea written all over it.
MarkwithaK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Polyepoxide and polyester alkyd resins are similar enough in how they act with regard to heat. Polyepoxide coatings, in fact, contain more "plastics" than the typical enamel spray paint, not that the presence of polymers is a bad thing. Bear in mind that your radiator temperature doesn't exceed 210 degrees under normal operations, which is far below the point at which any plastic resins in any given paint break down once cured.

Yes, you will theoretically diminish your capacity for heat transfer, by introducing a surface coating with a mild thermal insulation, but the observable results under normal conditions should be minimal if they exist at all. At most, a very small amount of the radiator's actual surface area will actually be covered, mostly along the least-relevant forward face, which makes up a tiny fraction of the actual surface area of the fins. Bear in mind you can't get paint into every nook and cranny and will likely be satisfied by just seeing the front face painted. A small amount of paint will land on the inner area of the fins, but this is a negligible amount, applied to the largest and most important part of the cooling surface.

It's my opinion that painting your radiator will have no effect on the performance, reliability, or safety of your vehicle.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Like was already said..common sense says that any coating will insulate and hinder thermal heat removal..unless its a coating designed for radiators.

I've been there and done that on a radiator after a guy told me a few theories that it shouldn't effect it in an old 1972 bronco and it DID make a difference when cruising the slow trails...

Being in North Carolina with the blistering hot summers...i wouldn't do it

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.