Painting over Chrome? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting over Chrome?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 06-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Painting over Chrome?

I found a good deal on a decent chrome bumper for my CJ, only problem is that I want it black. What do I need to do to rattle can it black?

nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
gtome

Sand it real good. Some etch or epoxy primer on it would help, but who would do all that just to spray paint it! So just sand it real good and shoot.

Oh and be sure to clean it real good before painting.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i would sand, clean, use rustoleum automobile primer. then hammered black. clear it.

Silver JEEP Club Member #36
MikeUnlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you do not use an adhesion promoter on chrome, it WILL peel back off. Get a can of Bulldog from a body supply shop and you will be good to go.
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
gtome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
If you do not use an adhesion promoter on chrome, it WILL peel back off. Get a can of Bulldog from a body supply shop and you will be good to go.
Incorrect. Etch or epoxy primer work better than adhesion promoter. But if you dont primer it, I would at minimum use adhesion promoter.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.