Painting My YJ Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting My YJ Help

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Painting My YJ Help

hey guys, i dont wanna spend a lot of $$$$$ so im going to be painting my YJ in a few weeks myself... im going to build a little booth in my garage and seal everything off........ i got a PPG deltron single stage paint... im going to sand it down to pretty much bare metal ( because it needs some body work in certain spots ) and then prime it.. what do you guys recommend using to sand it down? and any specific steps?

image-1500540743.jpg  
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You shouldnt have to sand it all down to bare metal.. The old paint on it makes for a good adhesion of the new paint.. Just sand everything that doesnt require body work with 320-400 grit sandpaper.. Just make sure that when you sand you sand till all the shine is gone on the old paint.. In other words, make it look like a flat paint job when its cleaned.. The paint needs something to grab onto and anything not scuffed will be prone to peel later.. Anywhere you cant get the sand paper, use a red scotch brite to scuff it..

Wherever you plan on doing body work, you want to use 36-80 grit where you plan on using filler so it sticks.. Sand your filler with 180-220 grit and primer over those spots covering all your sand marks from sanding the filler.. Sand your primer with 320-400 and you should be ready for paint once you clean everything.. Use a grease and wax remover right before you paint to remove contaminates.. Good luck on your adventure.. One of my xjs is now rescue green i did myself..
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck on the paint job. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I've been eying your build for a while now. Hope it turns out great, that way I can justify to the lady that I can do the same.
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx
Good luck on the paint job. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I've been eying your build for a while now. Hope it turns out great, that way I can justify to the lady that I can do the same.

Haha thanks. I hear ya. Took me a while to convince mine the same
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVRACER76
You shouldnt have to sand it all down to bare metal.. The old paint on it makes for a good adhesion of the new paint.. Just sand everything that doesnt require body work with 320-400 grit sandpaper.. Just make sure that when you sand you sand till all the shine is gone on the old paint.. In other words, make it look like a flat paint job when its cleaned.. The paint needs something to grab onto and anything not scuffed will be prone to peel later.. Anywhere you cant get the sand paper, use a red scotch brite to scuff it..

Wherever you plan on doing body work, you want to use 36-80 grit where you plan on using filler so it sticks.. Sand your filler with 180-220 grit and primer over those spots covering all your sand marks from sanding the filler.. Sand your primer with 320-400 and you should be ready for paint once you clean everything.. Use a grease and wax remover right before you paint to remove contaminates.. Good luck on your adventure.. One of my xjs is now rescue green i did myself..
Thanks a bunch man. Def guna use this help.
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

All good.. Hit me up if you have any snags.. Ive been painting for about 12 yrs now.. And post pics when your done..
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now if i get. Single stage ppg paint. Do I need to add hardener or reducer?
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziloh22 View Post
Now if i get. Single stage ppg paint. Do I need to add hardener or reducer?
Thats up to the paint manufacturer..what ever you get it they should have a tech sheet for mix ratios and whats needed

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha. Thanks !

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.