Painting hardtop question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting hardtop question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
kemperelder

Painting hardtop question

Hey guys, found a great deal on a hardtop in my area for the jk,the hardtop is painted the dark red color and mine is silver so I would like to paint the top black so it would look good on my jeep. What would be the best way to paint the already painted hardtop? Should I sand it down? Use regular paint or a bed liner like raptor line? I see people doing this to their already fiberglass black hardtop, m just unsure about this since it's already painted, Thanks for any help !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

kemperelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Scuff it up. Clean it well. Mask it off. Prime it twice. Then paint.
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Clean it first with some detergent soap then use a red scotch brite pad and some comet cleanser and scrub the heck outta it. Be sure to mask off the window seals first so you dont scratch them up. Rinse it off, dry it off well using compressed air being sure to get all the water out of the seals. Once dry, mask off the windows, etc. Now if your gonna raptor line it just go straight to the liner. If your gonna paint it i would definitely put a coat of sealer down then proceed with your base/ clear Topcoat. Be sure to tack off the surface before sealing and after the base has dried before you clear coat.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
kemperelder

Would you recommend the raptor line, just because it wouldn't require extra coats and would protect it better, or should I use just paint ?

Unread 05-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the textured look of the raptor liner. It is tougher than paint
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
AngryRedBird

@kemperelder

The most time will be spent cleaning and prepping the surface for paint..or repainting. Scuffing the surface is nothing more that taking a scotch bite pad and apply a gentle even swirl motion over the surface area. You're just scuffing the surface to accept the paint/bed liner and not sanding it down completely. The Scotch bite will however leave derbies over the surface of the top and will have to be cleaned or "tac-cloth". The raptor Lining is an acceptable alternative, But again one must prep the surface. As stated above.. the bed liner will have a semi rough or texture feel about it.. and can be very durable.. because the top is based on a plastic or fiber type mold, its very similar to that of already/pre-painted fenders via the Sahara.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Stokes_
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^Agree. It's all about the prep work.
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
AngryRedBird

@Stokes

I really find it hard to believe that not many here have never built model cars before.. one must realize that the jeep hobby is an extension of that model car hobby just on a grander scale. Sounds weird.. but One should take up model car building first before jumping into bigger projects.. or at least find a scrap hood, fender etc just to test on before the screw up the real deal, But after seeing how they are repainting the wheels etc with plasti-dip.. I guess anything is possible..
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
kemperelder

Thanks guys, the deal ended up falling through, guy decided he didn't want to sell, but thanks for all the help and replies

Unread 05-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemperelder View Post
Thanks guys, the deal ended up falling through, guy decided he didn't want to sell, but thanks for all the help and replies

Well that stinks it fell through

But on a serious note..swirve gave the best advice here for the work

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRedBird View Post
@Stokes

I really find it hard to believe that not many here have never built model cars before.. one must realize that the jeep hobby is an extension of that model car hobby just on a grander scale. Sounds weird.. but One should take up model car building first before jumping into bigger projects.. or at least find a scrap hood, fender etc just to test on before the screw up the real deal, But after seeing how they are repainting the wheels etc with plasti-dip.. I guess anything is possible..
Building model cars have nothing to do with real auto paint and body work..unless you are going to rattle can a paint job that will only last a short time and look like a rattle can job.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
AngryRedBird

Building and painting models at a young age does offer allot when dealing with issue in life down the adult road.. What one has learn then, can be used and even suitable for current "Grander Scale" models and the jeep or any car/truck for that matter does fit into the Grander scale of things. Perhaps I didn't clarify or itemize the full extent of what needed to be done when repainting his hard top.. Somethings are best left to those who need to learn and left to experience as in the doing so.. or they need to take a course at the local community college..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.