Painting gas tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting gas tank

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

Painting gas tank

When I got my CJ it had what appeared to be a fairly new gas tank. It is raw steel and still fairly shiny. What is the best method to paint it? I have it all taken apart because I am replacing the flimsy factory "skid plate" (not sure it is deserving of that title), with a much stouter one.

Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
HokieYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clean it well, spray a nice coat of self etch primer, then shoot it with whatever color spray paint you like. You can add clear coat for a little more protection but its not necessary.
HokieYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

I was wondering how the aerosol rocker panel spray would hold up....thought it would be a little more abrasion proof than paint...I'd prime it first of course.
Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
HokieYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Like the rubbery undercoating stuff? Yea, that would work as well. Its all in the prep though. Either way you will be fine.
HokieYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
gabe74gt

just make sure that it has no dust on it. spray a paint and take some rubbing solutions and rub it against. it will be done
gabe74gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Rit
1948 CJ2A 

Just besure everything is CLEAN! Your worst enemey will be oil, grease and finger prints. Eastwood has some nice frame paint in gloss or semi, you could probably just use a good hardware store paint but sand out rust spots and use a good paint prep to clean everything up.
Rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Low98Dime
2000 WJ 

Don't use rubberized under coating! It will trap in moisture and might even speed up the rusting process. I would use something like chassis saver, or a product called Zero-rust on it. Minimal prep, and a good lasting and pretty much rust proof. I know the zero-rust comes in other colors too, brush it on..i've found that works best, a quart should be more than enough. I've had great success with it. I've heard bad things about the por-15 line when painting on clean non-rusted metal so stay away from that. Here's a link to the zero-rust if your interested........... Zero Rust Paint - Quarts
Low98Dime is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.