Painting fender flares - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting fender flares

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 05-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
TJO
2013 JK Wrangler 

Painting fender flares

Has anyone tried to paint the textured fender flares that come on the new wranglers? I am thinking of taking mine off getting the paint color matched the black of the jeep and then clear coat them. If anyone has tried it how does it turn out and can you still see the texture?

TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have painted plenty of chevy truck textured flares to match the body color.. What ya want to do is get and aggresive sand paper and sand them down good.. I use either 80 or 120 grit.. I sand till i cant see the texture on the flares. After you get to that point you want to go back over them with a finer grit paper. 220-280 would be good.. Then find yourself a high build primer and prime them.. Id say 4-5 coats to completely cover any texture or sanding marks.. Spray a coat and wait 10 min and repeat and repeat etc.. Even if it looks like its covered in two coats, i recommend doin more as the primer will shrink as it drys.. Let the primer dry overnight and use a guide coat (very light layer of a different color paint but they make a "guide coat") and spray a coat on.. Its is so when you sand the primer you will know when its all flat. Finish by sanding your primer down with some 400 grit paper .. Sand it until the guide coat color is gone and you will be left with a nice smooth surface for painting.. Good luck.
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.