Painting entire cj body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting entire cj body

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
kyrubicon
1980 CJ5 

Painting entire cj body

I'm buying a spray gun and was wondering how many gallons or quartz ill need to spray the whole body and underneath as well. I was planning on using a self etching primer on underneath then coating that. Te body just gonna prime and spray then clear coat. Any help much appreciated. Never painted a car before.

kyrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That really all depends on the paint itself,all brands have different qualities of cover and pigments in them,1 brand might need a full gallon to do a full color on a CJ5,others may need 1/2 that,best to ask the manufacture or Paint supplier where you are buying it.

I also depends on the gun too,some use less material than others,some are really air hogs and waste alot of material in overspray

I generaly always buy a Gallon kit for the base coat.

Another thing to remember,different brands have different Mix ratios for the catylist and reducers..for example..if 1 says it is a 1:1 mix,you'll get an actual 2 gallons of paint in a gallon of color,if its a gallon and mix ratio is 4:1,then you'll have 1 1/4 gallons.

I personaly wouldn't bother with a self etching primer underneath,just buy at least a 1 gallon kit of a good Epoxy primer,Epoxy primers have a metal etching benefit and will be the best primer for the whole job.

In general....it's always best to have more on hand than needed,in case of screw ups or mis-calculating and even having around for any repairs later,nothing sucks more than being in the middle of a paint job and running out of paint

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
kyrubicon
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
That really all depends on the paint itself,all brands have different qualities of cover and pigments in them,1 brand might need a full gallon to do a full color on a CJ5,others may need 1/2 that,best to ask the manufacture or Paint supplier where you are buying it.

I also depends on the gun too,some use less material than others,some are really air hogs and waste alot of material in overspray

I generaly always buy a Gallon kit for the base coat.

Another thing to remember,different brands have different Mix ratios for the catylist and reducers..for example..if 1 says it is a 1:1 mix,you'll get an actual 2 gallons of paint in a gallon of color,if its a gallon and mix ratio is 4:1,then you'll have 1 1/4 gallons.

I personaly wouldn't bother with a self etching primer underneath,just buy at least a 1 gallon kit of a good Epoxy primer,Epoxy primers have a metal etching benefit and will be the best primer for the whole job.

In general....it's always best to have more on hand than needed,in case of screw ups or mis-calculating and even having around for any repairs later,nothing sucks more than being in the middle of a paint job and running out of paint
This was very helpful. I appreciate the insight. I was looking at one primer and it was 1:1 so I guess that would be two gallons. I'd use same primer on body and underneath but I was going to use black underneath. Don't know if this would be good on body as I don't know what color I'm doing. Any spray techniques or body filler?
kyrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrubicon View Post
This was very helpful. I appreciate the insight. I was looking at one primer and it was 1:1 so I guess that would be two gallons. I'd use same primer on body and underneath but I was going to use black underneath. Don't know if this would be good on body as I don't know what color I'm doing. Any spray techniques or body filler?
All guns will have a different size spray pattern according to several different scenarios n such..different size tips,air pressure required,type of paint..etc...,just play with it untill you get a nice even oval shaped pattern that covers well but not so much it runs easily.

As far as body fillers,any will do good,just try not to use it any thicker than 1/8"..i know some say 1/4" is fine but not to me,more chance of cracking and falling out later.

if you have rust holes,cut it out and weld in new patches,if you have no welder or can't or don;t know how to weld panels in without warping bad,then cut out the rust spots and have sheetmetal ready for a weldor who can.
Fixing holes and patches with bondo or fiberglass just creates problems down the road and then you are starting over again

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.