painting doors and ran in to big big problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > painting doors and ran in to big big problem.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

painting doors and ran in to big big problem.

So i spent the past two entire days stripping my doors of all rust and paint. I made sure to clean off the surface with paint thinner very thoroughly. I used gloves and what not to make sure no oils on my hands got on there. I primed everything with 2k kwik prime and let it dry overnight. The manufacturer said to leave 4-6 hrs for dry time in this temp. So i just went to lay the color on and it seemed to be going well. I was using omni au paint. Then after finishing the one door and starting on the next i looked at the first and all the paint was just bubbling off. It looked like someone dumped zip strip or something on it. So now i am at square one i need to re strip everything and i already spent $130 on this stuff. If anyone has any advice for me as to what went wrong that would be cool.

I have painted a handful of things with automotive grade paint before. I have even used this exact setup on other parts for this jeep before with no problems. The store i bought it from is a local place that supplies dealerships and auto body shops so its pretty legit.

Needless to say i am pissed off i hate painting, mostly just the prep, as it is. Know i get to do this all over again.

Sorry for the rant and again if anyone has any advice for me as to what may have gone wrong that would be swell.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

did the paint just bubbel up or was it dry and dusty looking and just didnt stick ??? did the primer stay down??? it almost sounds like the surface got contaminated with something. was the spray gun cleaned out good if any laquer thiner was left in gun and got mixed with paint it would cause this.
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

It just bubbled up. It was not dry and dusty looking. The primer adhered great. I am thinking that somehow something got on the primer. Or maybe what you said about lacquer thinner being in the gun. I didn't think i left any at all in there i blew it out good etc.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
jay55

Sounds like a paint "checking" or "crazing" problem.. Can be caused from being too cold. Were the doors atleast at room temperature when you sprayed? Could also be excessive film thickness. If the topcoat is applied too thick it can cause problems even if your in a booth. Spray a few very light coats and allow the paint to flash between coats. (usually 5 mins). Then apply a couple "wetter" coats to smooth it out and get gloss. First coat should just be a mist. Good luck hope it works out next time!
jay55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Alright well i had another thread in the cj forum. I am not one hundred percent sure what my problem was but this is what i did differently for round two. I added a water/oil seperator, used wax and grease remover generously, sanded the primer, made sure to do very thin first coats, and allow flash time. It was probably around 50-60 in my garage. I finished them up last night and they look pretty good. Didn't have any of that bubbling. I am pretty pleased with how they came out.

Unread 11-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
Alright well i had another thread in the cj forum. I am not one hundred percent sure what my problem was but this is what i did differently for round two. I added a water/oil seperator, used wax and grease remover generously, sanded the primer, made sure to do very thin first coats, and allow flash time. It was probably around 50-60 in my garage. I finished them up last night and they look pretty good. Didn't have any of that bubbling. I am pretty pleased with how they came out.
maybe it was the paint thinner? not a pro by any means but when i did a frame i used alot of prep before hand to clean it . even when it looked clean if you hit it with more prep and a white cloth it was still dirty . gotta clean the hell out of it . and an etching primer helps too .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

If the topcoat was a polyurethane it will react to mineral spirits. If the primer is porous and mineral spirits are wiped on the thinner may not evacuate the primer in cold weather.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
mistertierney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, as mention i'm no expert, but i though paint thinner was oil based? I've always used prepsol after sanding. Good to hear it all worked out in the end.
Unread 12-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ258 View Post
If the topcoat was a polyurethane it will react to mineral spirits. If the primer is porous and mineral spirits are wiped on the thinner may not evacuate the primer in cold weather.
This answer sounds like what probably happened.
Only use min spirits to wipe if you are painting with regular oil base enamel.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Liftedred95yj

Been through stuff like that. Could be wrong flash time. And I think too cold. I think it should be close to 70 F degrees. And I don't think paint thinner should be used to clean surface, I think it's greasy/oily stuff if I'm not mistaken.
Liftedred95yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.