Painting Dash Accents - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting Dash Accents

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Painting Dash Accents

I have an 08 4-door JK. My theme for the jeep is black and red and I would like to paint the dark grey and silver accents black and red. Things like the interior dash by the gauge panel, the dark grey inlays along the center console, etc. Any suggestions on procedures to painting this. Should I sand it, if so what grade? What kind of primer should I use? Self-Etching maybe? Also specific paint?

I recently painted the inserts on my wheels and they turned out very well so I have some experience but I certainly would rather not do it if its going to turn out bad.

Here's some pics of what I've painted and what I'd like to paint. Thanks guys!

slawkin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good idea. I would suggest using a gray scotch-brite pad for sanding. Clean it with A LOT of wax and grease remover, and alcohol, then use adhesion promotor and spray paint for plastics.
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestes94
Good idea. I would suggest using a gray scotch-brite pad for sanding. Clean it with A LOT of wax and grease remover, and alcohol, then use adhesion promotor and spray paint for plastics.
Thanks I will definitely keep all those tips in mind and post pics when I finally get around to doing it! Got other projects going on right now! New track bar, driveshafts, etc...
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestes94 View Post
After that, hit it with about three coats of clear coat, lightly wet sand, and add a few more coats of clear. Repeat until you're happy. Then wax it with whatever wax you've got laying around the garage. It'll look much more like a real automotive finish, as opposed to spray paint.

The end result completely justifies the little bit of extra effort.
OCS12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCS12

After that, hit it with about three coats of clear coat, lightly wet sand, and add a few more coats of clear. Repeat until you're happy. Then wax it with whatever wax you've got laying around the garage. It'll look much more like a real automotive finish, as opposed to spray paint.

The end result completely justifies the little bit of extra effort.
I will definitely do that! Clear coat makes everything look nice!
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Zaqk

Slawkin93 where did you buy the two gas cans and mounts on the back of your jeep? I've been looking for something like that for my 97 TJ. Also about how much did they cost you? Thanks in advance!

'97 Wrangler sport
Zaqk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqk
Slawkin93 where did you buy the two gas cans and mounts on the back of your jeep? I've been looking for something like that for my 97 TJ. Also about how much did they cost you? Thanks in advance!

'97 Wrangler sport
I got them all with a package with the bumper/tirecarrier. It's made by a company named rock hard 4x4. The total cost was about 1200$ but the mounts are150$ per side and the tanks were50$ and 75$. One is a tool box just mocking a gas tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.