painting bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > painting bumpers

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
slumpy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

painting bumpers

just been reading alot of threads on painting bumpers, mine needs painted, thought iwould wire wheel it and just use that spray bedliner stuff, think itll work? havent seen any threads on this.

slumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
slumpy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

jeep bumper

oh, heres a pic of my poor bumper.
passenger-side-edit.jpg  
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Verboten
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think I would wire wheel it.

I think you will getter better results with the actual bumper and trim paint.

Here's a couple pictures of mine.

Just remember that it is all about the prep work. You can't cover up obvious issues with MORE paint.

I sanded mine down with a 150 then finshed up with a 400, taped it off and shot it with light even coats.

Regards,

Ken
vrboten5.jpg   vrboten7.jpg  
UNCLE CHARLIE 1929 Model A Ford (Grand Champion at the Henry Ford Museum Invitational Show)[/[/B]
2112 Ford Explorer Limited -18 Ft Aluminum Trailer
[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Arial Black"]Video of me in my Porsche 928S At Mid Ohio 2008
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i6UmtdKVa8[/url][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
slumpy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

thanks, i think ill go your way, looks better, and i hate having to do something twice.
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

just depends though man, do you go out and beat it up? because Ive painted a lot of bumpers and things and generally, if your hard on your rig the paint doesn't hold up regardless. but a honestly i would use a wire wheel over sand paper but to each his own, but make sure you wipe it down with acetone or any kind of alcohol to get all the dust and debris you created during the process, give it a good primer coat and whatever kind of paint will work, i always use the cheap crap because i end up redoing it all the time because im constantly welding on stuff. and don't paint when its to cold out or the paint doesn't bite to the primer or material quite right.
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
EddieXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yea wire wheel is the way to go esp if its rusty...I always wipe with iso-alcohol.

The brush on bed liner followed with a coat of flat black spray paint holds up extremely well....its very tough
EddieXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.