Painting 6061 T6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painting 6061 T6

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Painting 6061 T6

Ok, so I have a lot of Savvy armor on my Jeep, and I am having a hard time getting paint to stick. I cleaned it with acetone and used a self¨-etching primer. I rattle canned it flat black. Most of the paint came off and it looks like hell. I tried an epoxy primer/paint and didnít fair much better, and that was definitely not UV resistant. I stopped in the local auto paint shop and they suggested either powdercoat, or plasti-dip. I donít want to do either. I donít mind buying a paint gun and stepping up from a spray can, I just want it flat or satin black and something that will stand up.

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
Grunt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You need to sandblast it or use a die grinder with a red scotch brite pad, then use MEK to clean. A 2 part epoxy primer is what I would use right after cleaning before the aluminum oxidizes again.
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
ToledoDave

Bulldog (rattle can) etching then prime and paint. Havnt had a color lift yet.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Zone

Savvy armor is made of aluminum, so you need products that are especially for aluminum. An alodine wash (chromate conversion) or products that contain alodine prepare the aluminum to accept a paint coating. It's possible that the alodine may turn the aluminum slightly gold in color.
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.