Painted my bumper... Now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Painted my bumper... Now what?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGS

Unread 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
LURCH634
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Painted my bumper... Now what?

So for thoose of you that have seen by build so far, you have noticed the ugly grill guard that came withe the jeep when I bought it. I traded it along with the factory bumper for a WARN rock crawler bumper. It had a few rust spots on it, so I sanded it down and cleaned it. Then I painted it with 3 coats of RUSTOleum paint. Is there anything else that I need to do for protection or am I done. suggestions will be apperciated.

LURCH634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
250psd
1997 ZJ 

A couple of coats of clear will add durability.
250psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
LURCH634
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I decided to add a couple coats of the hammer paint then I will clear it.
LURCH634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished painting new front bumper from nates 4x4. I used 2 coats of self etching primer and 3 coats rustoleum hammered black. Is a clear coat really needed?? Itching to bolt it on so the new superwinch can get installed.
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I've answered my own question... Already chipped paint on bumper before install. Put the shackle on and was wondering how the metal on metal would affect the paint. The shackle quickly chipped off a small amount of paint right on the edge of the bumper at the weld. Wondering if anyone has used any type of bump stop or rubber coating on the shackle or bumper to prevent damage. My solution: I painted some rubber gromets and gorilla glued them at the point of contact on bumper. Looks good and hopefully will hold up to the abuse. Oh and I threw on a clear coat of protective enamel to the bumper.
Unread 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
ZeroCool8891
1994 XJ Cherokee 

nice, looks good.
ZeroCool8891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.