Paint TJ grill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Paint TJ grill

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Filter661
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Paint TJ grill

Hey guys, i am wanting to paint my grill black, with Rusto Bed Liner spray. Has anyone painted their grill? Did you take it off the jeep to paint it? pics?

Filter661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've posted these pics on a few other threads, so forgive me if you've seen them, but here's my YJ grill. I obviously took it off to paint it. I love the results, and it still looks great after bout 1 year.
before

after

Unread 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

the main reason I took it off was the surface rust. It only took maybe 1 to 1.5 hours to take it off (if that) I spent ALOT of time on prep/priming/painting/bedlining. but it came out good I think
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
greentank
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did it with rustoleum flat black. Very easy to mask around hood and fenders. just pull out headlight bezels and tuck some paper in the whole over the lamps. I also painted those chrome bezels, but need to redo them as the paint has started to chip and flake off the chrome. this time i will sand them first. It has held up pretty good though as i did it like 1.5 years ago.
greentank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Red00Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYDE001 View Post
the main reason I took it off was the surface rust. It only took maybe 1 to 1.5 hours to take it off (if that) I spent ALOT of time on prep/priming/painting/bedlining. but it came out good I think
cheers if you can take somthing off the car befor painting it thats alwasy the best way to go for best results
Red00Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a couple pics of mine. I used the Duplicolor bedliner in a spray can.

Older pic:

Newer pic:

I left the grill on and just masked everything off really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Any one else done this? I too am thinking about painting with with the spray can bed liner stuff.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I painted my grill with Rustoleum Bed Liner and left the grill on jeep. Turned out looking so good I'm in the process of painting the whole jeep, my paint sucked. Check out my build thread for more pictures and info.

Just finished the tailgate last week
north50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used rustoleum bed liner on mine. I don't have a close up picture. But it has one hell of a nice texture to it. And pretty durable.
forumrunner_20110309_185957.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

just did my TJ grill and fenders... both were stone/ gravel chipped bad from dirt roads and it was towed by its previous owner...

i am very impressed with the rustoleum bed liner in a rattle can... i am going to do my Trail gear sliders and bumpers which have crappy powder coating... also i am going to do my flares... i read up that some one else used this on their stock flares so i am going to give it a go...

pics to come
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
just did my TJ grill and fenders... both were stone/ gravel chipped bad from dirt roads and it was towed by its previous owner...

i am very impressed with the rustoleum bed liner in a rattle can... i am going to do my Trail gear sliders and bumpers which have crappy powder coating... also i am going to do my flares... i read up that some one else used this on their stock flares so i am going to give it a go...

pics to come
Pics or it didn't happen
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
JeepinJake75
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xfiend View Post

Older pic:

Newer pic:

Your jeep is a beast, Love it!! What was your prep?
[CENTER][B][FONT="Showcard Gothic"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #257 [/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkRed"]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #654[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

"Would you please put some pants on? I feel weird having to ask you twice." - Phil Wenneck
JeepinJake75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Danegerous
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xfiend View Post

Older pic:

Newer pic:

I'm so glad you posted this! I have a Steel Blue TJ and I want to do this EXACT mod, but I really wondered how it would look on mine. Thanks! I think that is the project for this month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I once slipped with a rotary wire brush that burned through my jeans and left a very nice deep gouge in my leg.

If it had been up a little higher, I'd have gone from a rooster to a hen.
Danegerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

This was sprayed but you can do almost the same rolling
bedlinedgrill1.jpg   bedlinedgrill2.jpg  
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.