Paint my own rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Paint my own rims

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
jeeplibertybrah

Paint my own rims

Has anyone else painted there own rims before? My jeep is black and thought about painting them black as well. Want a flat black. No gloss. Want to make sure it looks good and won't easily chip or wear off due to road conditions, heat, cold or road salt. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jeeplibertybrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Powder coating is your best overall option, but not something the average user can do. Your best option for something easier to do is a flat black primer. 90% of your finish will be in your prep work(as with any paint), bare metal, sandblasted would be ideal. Properly sanded, cleaned surface will give you resistance to chipping.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you decice to paint them,which Ive done many times with great results, give some thought to using a semi gloss color. This will clean up nicer than a flat color. It has the look of flat with the dirt repeling qualities of a gloss color. You can use rattle cans,brush or a spray gun. The results will vary with the preparation and quality of the materials you use. An automotive paint with a hardner will give the best results but material will run in the $100+ range.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A coworker of mine used undercoating. It's cheap, durable and flat black. But if you go with paint, use some etching primer if you're spraying over bare metal.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.