Paint Job - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Paint Job

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Carson7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Paint Job

About how much would it cost to get my 87 YJ painted?

Carson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That all greatly depends on who you go to, and what extent you want it done. Some people can do it for $300, some shops will charge upwards of $5000 for their full package.

All depends on who you go to. Or you can just rattle can it and do it yourself for $40-60!

Call the paint shops where you live and ask.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Carson7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
That all greatly depends on who you go to, and what extent you want it done. Some people can do it for $300, some shops will charge upwards of $5000 for their full package. All depends on who you go to. Or you can just rattle can it and do it yourself for $40-60! Call the paint shops where you live and ask.
Thanks. Hopefully I can get to that soon
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Also would you want to monster line it or use normal paint? Do you wheel it a lot?
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Carson7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Whats the difference in the two? It needs some work done, mostly to the rear end before it would be able to. If I can find somewhere close enough I'd like to
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson7 View Post
Whats the difference in the two? It needs some work done, mostly to the rear end before it would be able to. If I can find somewhere close enough I'd like to
Monster liner is like bed liner but it comes in many colors. You can aslo get mat and gloss. It is a lot more durable I think it migbt weight a bit also. I have my cj interior sprayed with it.
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

https://www.google.com/search?client...hg0RrpBnCjM%3A
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Use Monstaliner on your Jeep, and you'll never need another paint job ever again.

If you're wanting something that looks like the factory style smooth finish, gloss paint, you'll want a shop to do it for you.

Something cheap that looks "good enough" like in the case of many people, and is easy to touch up like bed liner? Rattle can.

Like already asked, do you wheel it a lot? Or do you anticipate any blemishes in the paint that would warrant a touch up? If so, the bed liner or rattle can is the better route to go.

Still not enough power.
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Carson7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the clarification. Any other tips that may help?
Unread 11-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Any other tips that may help?
Never let a guy paint it unless you have seen some of his work my cousin had a guy paint it for half the cost a shop would and lets say he did not get a good deal...
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
Never let a guy paint it unless you have seen some of his work my cousin had a guy paint it for half the cost a shop would and lets say he did not get a good deal...
On top of that, I would ask what they do during the painting process. Or rather how they repaint a vehicle.

If they don't go into detail about it, then that would be a red flag for me. If they just say they sand it down and repaint it, I'd keep looking.

Somebody that tells me they go through all the stages, talks about their techniques, and even talks about what kind of primer, paint, and clearcoat they use, and how many coats, then I'd be more likely to pay them to do it.

Still not enough power.
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Carson7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't think about that. Great point. Also:
1.) The rear sway bar was cut on one side I assume it was to accommodate the lift. Can that be a problem?
2.) There is a clicking sound somewhere under the hood. Possibly a loose belt?
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't think about that. Great point. Also:
1.) The rear sway bar was cut on one side I assume it was to accommodate the lift. Can that be a problem?
2.) There is a clicking sound somewhere under the hood. Possibly a loose belt?
Just on one side?
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about the sway bar, leaf spring vehicles don't really need them all that much. I, along with many other people, have removed the track bar and sway bars. Usually the YJ will ride better without them. They aren't necessary, just something to get the NHTSA to shut up mostly. On a vehicle with coil springs, yeah you should probably have them on, otherwise you're in for a fun time when you turn at intersections.

The clicking sound could be several things. It could be an exhaust leak at the manifold, which isn't hard to fix. It could also be valves which isn't cheap to fix depending on who's doing it. I've seen worn out and wobbly pulleys make clicking noises before, not on Jeeps but on other vehicles.

You'd have to stick your head in there and try to pinpoint the location for us to be able to tell you accurately. Then again somebody will probably come along who knows what the problem is with just that bit of information.

Still not enough power.
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
Carson7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.