paint issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > paint issues

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
well, ****! since my compressor sucks - is there one - that's affordable - that I could purchase to do a doable job?
Go here TCPglobal Brand Spray Guns

These Guns are rated at 4-7 cfm, and even though it is on the higher end, I have read some reviews of people using it with a similar compressor

TCP Global 10 Piece HVLP Spray Gun Set - Painters Forum

Or you could rent a compressor from somewhere locally

StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
grassfeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
If i was on a tight limited budget,i'd probably go with this one..12.8 CFM @ 90 PSI and 14.5 CFM @ 40 PSI.
I've actualy read a few places where they claim these US Generals are actualy Bel Air compressors all except the Pump itself..Bel Air is a well known industrial grade compressors for body shops.
3.5 HP, 60 Gallon, 130 PSI Compressor
You could sell you're little one even to recoup some of the money on that one.

I used a Porter Cable 60 gallon with only 10.5 CFM @ 90 PSI for years for paint and running air tools and worked fine untill the pump wore out after about 6 years,ran 40-50 PSI for painting with a Devilbiss and SATA gun and never had a problem with keeping up...then bought an Ingersoll Rand,,so with the pressure and CFM ratings on that one you should be good to go to paint that,plus you'll be upgrading to a much more suitable compressor to have around the garage for future use..even if you sold you'res for maybe 100.00 you only actualy paid a lil over 300.00 for a much more suitable compressor for work.
Thanks much!! Just saw this compressor last night and the weekly ad has a 20% coupon I could use with it! Looks like a purchase!!
grassfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks much!! Just saw this compressor last night and the weekly ad has a 20% coupon I could use with it! Looks like a purchase!!
Just make sure you have a 220 where you are going to put it, or at least install a 220
Unread 10-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
grassfeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
Just make sure you have a 220 where you are going to put it, or at least install a 220
MOTHER****ER! I just saw that! I have a laundry room where I could steal the plug from the dryer, that run into the garage - depending on how long the power chord is......

why does this have to be so difficult......
Unread 10-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It wouldn't take much money or work to run a 220 into the garage from the service box,then you'll always have it for other tools..such as a welder,table saws,drill presses...ect

I actualy ran my compressor off the dryer plug inside the house for a while when needed..bought the right wire for 220 at lowes..( i forget the size) and bought the 2 correct ends for it..don't buy the extension cord..just buy the right size wire for wiring up 220 in a house for now and make an extension cord out of it,that way you'll have it already when you decide to run a permanant 220 inot the garage of it's own dedicated breaker

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

OP, if you want to spend that much money on a new compressor, then go ahead. I did my paint job with a 26 gallon, 4CFM@90 PSI tank and it sprayed fine. I don't know off the top of my head what the CFM requirements on my gun are, but I had no problems. Unless you wan't that big of a compressor anyway, because you have other tools you would like to use, then go for it. But to spend that much money strictly for the spray gun, IMO it's not worth it.

I let the paint cure for 24 hours in side the garage. Maybe it wasn't long enough , but I had to work in the mornings so I didn't have many options. It got rained on a couple times, but no more then 4 or 5 days after I had sprayed. It was nasty, dirty rain and I let it sit for quite a while like that because I didn't have the top on and didn't feel like washing it. And I used a single stage, so maybe not having a clearcoat makes the paint more prone to water marks. Anyway, it's nothing a good polish can't fix. I polished and waxed a door last weekend to see how it looked and it looked damn good.

Good point on letting the paint breath, I forgot about that. But that's why I haven't waxed the rest of the Jeep yet, I just spaced on that point.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
caumu690
1980 CJ7 

I would definitely put a sealer on first, that's what I did, just sprayed it on 10-15 min before painting because I had the same rattle can primer. Paint Job turned out great I used a single Stage Sickkens paint just did it like 3 weeks ago
caumu690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #23
grassfeeder

I live in a townhouse, and while I do have 2 car side by side - I don't have a ton of space to expand. I've got a single black & decker table saw already that runs 110. I don't see myself ever running a welder or actual drill press - at least not in this home.

I want it to turn out right, that's pretty much all I care about......maybe I'd be better off with my current compressor and they other gun from TCP that may better support the current compressor.

I don't do a ton of other work on cars that would warrant a massive compressor......just minor stuff that I could actually get away with without one all together. As of now I use it more as an air gun, rotating tires, minor stuff that makes life a little easier and quicker......
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #24
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I live in a townhouse, and while I do have 2 car side by side - I don't have a ton of space to expand. I've got a single black & decker table saw already that runs 110. I don't see myself ever running a welder or actual drill press - at least not in this home.

I want it to turn out right, that's pretty much all I care about......maybe I'd be better off with my current compressor and they other gun from TCP that may better support the current compressor.

I don't do a ton of other work on cars that would warrant a massive compressor......just minor stuff that I could actually get away with without one all together. As of now I use it more as an air gun, rotating tires, minor stuff that makes life a little easier and quicker......
I think you should stick with your compressor. I just went and looked, the gun I currently use is a Husky Pro, which requires 6.5CFM at 40 PSI. It was 100$ at Home Depot, but I only got it because my dad went 50/50 with me. I love it, it's not a 300 dollar professional gun, but there is a difference between it and the cheapo Husky gun I used before it. Don't get me wrong though, the gun your looking at will work just as well to, but when you are spraying primer it quickly ruins your gun.

I don't know the specs on the first gun I used, but I suspect it is similar.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
grassfeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by caumu690 View Post
I would definitely put a sealer on first, that's what I did, just sprayed it on 10-15 min before painting because I had the same rattle can primer. Paint Job turned out great I used a single Stage Sickkens paint just did it like 3 weeks ago
sand then seal or seal then sand?
Unread 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sand..seal..and if it didn't spray slick..sand again before top coat...you can use the same gun for primer and top coat,just make sure it is thoroughly cleaned before using the top coat,i have a Devilbiss Finishline II i've used for both and never had a problem,but i am VERY picky about cleaning my guns thoroughly after each use and even bewtween coats.
A 1.4 tip in a gun will be a good one for both primer and top coat,make sure you get an Epoxy primer/sealer,it can be reduced as a sealer and will run fine through a 1.4 tip.

Good luck on spraying a gun with that little compressor,hope it works out for you..

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
grassfeeder

I know my compressor may not be ideal, and I know I may very well end up kicking myself - but I think I'm going to chance it and give it a whirl.

I think I'll order the gun from TCPglobal w/ the 1.4 tip and return the one to harbor freight. looks like that one would work a little better with the current compressor.

I'll sand and scuff the current spray can primer with 220....
Unread 10-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know my compressor may not be ideal, and I know I may very well end up kicking myself - but I think I'm going to chance it and give it a whirl.

I think I'll order the gun from TCPglobal w/ the 1.4 tip and return the one to harbor freight. looks like that one would work a little better with the current compressor.

I'll sand and scuff the current spray can primer with 220....
I think you should be able to make it work. Just practice and see how the compressor reacts to the gun. You may have to slow your spraying down, but you may not have to , just try out and see. Good luck and you are more than welcome to PM me with any questions you may have
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
lanecj5
1980 CJ5 

Grassfeeder I've got some pics of our latest "back yard project".Stay tuned and I'll post them in next day or so.
I used a gravity feed gun from harbor freight "$21.99" and a 5 hp 30 gal compressor.The paint we used was from
an EBAY seller "trinity 1945";many colors to choose from.Acrylic Enamel...One shot...It is a kit paint ,hardner and reducer $79.95.Use clear if ya want to.I know Its not the $500 to $2500 paint jobs you see elsewhere but we took alot of time preping the body.We is me and my 14 yr old who this project is for as he spent his money to buy this and has since learned some body/paint and fabbing/welding etc.GREAT project to teach.The trick to shooting it was keeping the pressure reg at the gun on 35 to 40 psi. " as the paint manuf. said.I am definately not the "pro" paint guy.BUT this turned out GOOD.They call it copper mettalic.Next is the team rush upgrade and to do something about that carter carb..any ideas?????
lanecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #30
lanecj5
1980 CJ5 

pics

Pics of the backyard project.Overall came out good.I'll post up a few other better pics.1 foot away or 5 feet away it looks pretty darn good....
jeep1.jpg   jeep-begin.jpg  
jeep.jpg

lanecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.