Paint exterior or spray liner on interior first? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Paint exterior or spray liner on interior first?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
monster78
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Paint exterior or spray liner on interior first?

Good evening! I have been reading this forum for years and have gained a wealth of knowledge by taking time to search and read. I am currently restoring a Scrambler and have almost completed the bodywork inside and out. I am looking for opinions from everyone for what to do first. Should I spray the liner inside or paint the exterior first? Thanks!

monster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Zone

I would say bedliner first for the interior, then paint the exterior.

If you paint first, you will have to mask off the painted surface to prepare to spray the bedliner which means you will be placing masking tape on the new paint. If you happen to find a weak spot in the paint (or primer), the masking tape may pull off your new paint.
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would say the opposite as getting overspray off the bedliner will be tough. I would paint first and do the liner second. Roll or spray will determine how much masking is needed.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Zone

It's easy to mask off the bedliner and it's not going to come off with tape.

Zone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
tybota
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bedliner then paint... my 2 cents
tybota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think it depends on where you want the Bedliner to end up. When I did mine I did bedliner onto the door sills to prevent scuffing the paint. In this case it would have been very hard to tape the bedliner and then paint and get a nice crisp line. SO I painted the exterior first then applied the bedliner (Monstaliner), see by build thread. Good luck!
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Indy

Interior then exterior.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It doesnt metter either way if you do a nice tape job.

i prefer paint first,then bedliner...its easier to get the crisp lines with the bedliner than it is to paint lines overlapping a bedliner..just looks much better

Fresh paint will not come off with paint tape unless the paint didn't adhere right in the first place as long as you let it cure to its required cure time..............unless your using a cheap paint with no hardener and takes weeks to cure........

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.