paint and body on my 1955 cj5 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > paint and body on my 1955 cj5

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
Nervo19

Your Jeep is awesome. I have a friend with a '59 Willys I would love to get my hands on. You mentioned you are military. Do you live at a base that has a hobby shop with an auto shop?

You seem to have found a good method for your body work. Just remember Bondo must be kept less than a dime thick or it will crack eventually. If you have a thicker patch get the bondo that has fiberglass threads in it. One method for patching if you don't have a welder is to cut a patch of steel a bit bigger and glue it from the back side with auto panel adhesive and fill the front with fiberglass bondo. The adhesive is about $20 a tube from Eastwood and is applied with an ordinary $5 caulk gun. Instead of real Bondo brand I like Rage Gold from Evercoat; it's about $49 a gallon from Eastwood. If you subscribe to their spam they will constantly send you codes for free shipping. I mostly had to comment so I can find this thread again!

Nervo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Thanks nervo for the compliment on the jeep its nice to hear occasionally I havnt had her out in public yet and all i hear from the wife is negative remarks but it needs quite a bit of work but I love her all the same the only area that I am gonna use bondo on is that area that where I covered the big hole besides covering small holes thst were used to pull dent bu the po but I only used enough to cover over the screen patch and that big area on the rear passenger side that i cleared all bondo out I'm only gonna patch the lil holes and beat the hell outta the dents and just paint it it'll give it a lil character and yes I am military and we do have a shop on base but they don't allow body work in there I wish we had a paint booth like some of the other post do but oh well
fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Oh and I am using the rage gold got it for 30 a gallon from napa
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #34
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Got a question in between all my body panels like the fenders and grill I noticed there was some sort of silicone sealant, when I get to the point of reassembly would it be a good idea to redo the sealant or just bolt them back together
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy5cj5 View Post
Got a question in between all my body panels like the fenders and grill I noticed there was some sort of silicone sealant, when I get to the point of reassembly would it be a good idea to redo the sealant or just bolt them back together
If it is factory I would remove the old stuff and get something a local auto paint supplier, or one of our fellow members might be kind enough to recommend.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #36
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Update I've got the hood, both fenders, and grill all finished painted I was planning on taking off the windshield frame but the way the roll bar is welded in I can't get enough torque on the screws so that's staying on. The tub is completely sanded but have yet to have time to primer it but hopping to get some work done on Friday and this weekend
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #37
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Update I've got the hood, both fenders, and grill all finished painted I was planning on taking off the windshield frame but the way the roll bar is welded in I can't get enough torque on the screws so that's staying on. The tub is completely sanded but have yet to have time to primer it but hopping to get some work done on Friday and this weekend
Sounds like you are making good progress.

So what do you think of this type 'paint process' so far?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #38
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Well so far considering the lil bit of money I've got into it, it's looking great I have yet to see it in the sunlight so I'm sure ill have touch ups to do but the beauty of that is all I gotta do is grab a roller or foam brush and hit it real quick and my process would be goin a lot quicker if it wernt for body work but all in all I think anybody could do it
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

image-2552910946.jpg

Finally got my 1st cost of primer on it
Been pretty busy lately
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #40
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Attachment 597207

Finally got my 1st cost of primer on it
Been pretty busy lately
Heck the rest of the job can be done one handed!!!!!

I know that you will be happy with the results.

Unread 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #41
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

image-3516917139.jpg
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #42
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

So far. I'm off tomorrow so I'm gonna try and get 2 coats of blue on tomorrow one in the morning and another during the day some time with 70 degree mornings here in hell paso tx should dry pretty quickly. today it was 91* at 2oclock
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #43
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

The heep may be goin back together here pretty soon but as soon as I'm done with the paint I'm tearing out the Interior and monstalining it black and hopefully my new seats will be in soon
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #44
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Oh and that pic was takin with one coat of paint and after I lightly sanded it down
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #45
codyh376
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Fiddy have any pics of the finished paint job? I'm going to be doing the exact thing here soon.
(o)_) _(o)_)-o-)_)
codyh376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.