paint and body on my 1955 cj5 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > paint and body on my 1955 cj5

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Ya I'm doin the same thing disassembling most of it but it slow moving for me it's a 55 so it seams every nut an bolt is corroded and seized lol

fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy5cj5 View Post
Ya I'm doin the same thing disassembling most of it but it slow moving for me it's a 55 so it seams every nut an bolt is corroded and seized lol
PB Blaster + Flame wrench!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Yup that's wat been goin on the whole time when u sanded with the green pads did u wet them
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yup that's wat been goin on the whole time when u sanded with the green pads did u wet them
I did and I didn't get all crazy with the whole rubbing thing! Just knocked down any possible dust bunnies stickin' out of the paint.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

After I cleaned the bondo out

image-2595364400.jpg
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Found this at a local body shop

image-746012423.jpg

After my first coat of real thin bondo

image-1522351750.jpg
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good!!!!

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Thanks I'm tryin my best to make her look good with what I got and not a whole lot of skill lol but I'm glad u said something bout the body panel patches that thing is super thin and insanely stiff I had to use a Dremel and a cut off wheel to trim it down to fit
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #24
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks I'm tryin my best to make her look good with what I got and not a whole lot of skill lol but I'm glad u said something bout the body panel patches that thing is super thin and insanely stiff I had to use a Dremel and a cut off wheel to trim it down to fit
What I know about body work could be written on the back of a postage stamp with a fat crayon...trust me.

I find that asking questions here on JF and at places like a auto supply stores will get you through what you want to acomplish.

There is always the possibility of you making a mistake. So what fix it! I now have the typical rust spot that is showing surface rust coming through my new paint as an example. This spot is on the body just below where the gas filler was on my YJ. I did not addess it properly during my initial prep and will have to go back to do so. I did not address the lower body panels where my factory flares and side step was and that whole lower are needs repair. But the paint I used will make this fairly easy to do.

You want your Jeep to look good. That usually means some sort of smooth and shiney. Trust me when you are done everyone will think your jeep looks great...especially you. And that is the guy you want to please the most!

Now get back to work!!!

Unread 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

POR-15 seems to do a very good job of stopping the rust from coming back thru. We used it as a spot primer on my son's '90 Wrangler when we repainted it two years ago. Grind/wire wheel/sand as best you can, paint with a disposable brush (this stuff does not clean up - period!) and let dry. It apparently chemically bonds to rust. You can put Bondo over it and you can sand it (but it is very hard).
So far, only one small rust thru by the one hood latch.
Search the forum and you'll find lots of people have used it. Brace yourself for the price though - it was ~$50/quart at our local NAPA Auto Parts store.
PS - We sprayed the Jeep in a garage. Not perfect but not bad.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Haha ya your bout like me i don't know jack squat bout body work and trust me every sec I get I'm out working on something but I'm military and working all the time and I also got wife and 2 kids so u dont always gave the time that I would like but oh we'll what can u do
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Ok so original thoughts on the cj was it was a running pile of rust but after I've really tore into it there really isn't a whole lot of rust just a lot of bondo the po used to fill in dents for some reason but overall it's cleaning up nicely

image-33777733.jpg

This hole area was filled with bondo but I only found some surface rust and a lot of dents
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #28
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

After I cleaned out the majority of bondo
image-1720208419.jpg
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Heck with all the weight of that Bondo gone you will get a big boost in MPG's!!

Unread 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Haha u can see my tires covered in white bondo dust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.