Paint and body help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Paint and body help needed

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
punkerpirate
1979 CJ7 

Paint and body help needed

The body and frame of my 79 CJ7 are in really good shape -- original paint, some surface rust on front frame rails and flaking undercoat in fenderwells and underneath.

I'm not doing frame off - can I media blast (walnut shells) underneath and fenderwells without destroying mechanical items? Can I blast the body? All i have is a small portable blaster and a small compressor available. I still have to get the Renegade stickers off for example. I'd also like to blast the front bumper and tire carrier (which are off the vehicle now). What do you think?

I really don't have hours to spend fine grit sanding prepping for paint. Can I do an initial blast and then fine blast. Its a Jeep -- its not supposed to have a "perfect fine smooth" finish -- right? Need some opinions and help please! Want to take her and have her sprayed to keep costs down. Spraying with an acrylic enamel that's between a satin and semi gloss finish (OD) and I already gave up on black bolts

I'm also going to use a rattle can bedliner material on bumpers, flares, tire carrier -- used a tintable already on the bed (came out fairly decent). I've stripped her down except for taking off the hood (which I plan to do) and taking out the front grill (which I don't) and replacing with new hex grade 8 bolts. (hate @#% Torx bolts!)

Need some suggestions PLEASE on how to finish her for new paint myself. I'm also on a time table -- I'd like to have it done by July 8th for a trip. My husband is also standing there frowning because he wanted to do the whole cheap fast and half a$$ and I said no.

So, any and all suggestions are welcome -- even if you tell me that I'm half baked and side with the not so dh. Thanks!

punkerpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
gtome

Well......deep breath.....

You should have no problem blasting the underside and bumpers, just keep it away from plastic and rubber. You may need something more harsh than walnut shells, but try it and see?? I use a knoted wire wheel on a grinder to get flake off, may consider that over blasting.

I wouldnt blast the body if your paint is in good shape. Go to a paint supply place and they have decal erasers that you put on a drill and will take the decals right off and wont damage the paint.

I would take off as much stuff as you can that you dont want painted. Masking can be expesive and very time consuming. When you have everything off, take a DA and some 400 grit and knock the shine off of it. If you are happy with how straight the rig is, get it all dulled up good and paint it. The factory paint will make a good base for the new paint to stick to.If you are going with the same color, even better, then you wont have to jack around with the jambs, under the hood etc.

But...... i wouldnt use acrylic enamel. It is soft, hard to fix, and wont last as long as acrylic urethane. Are you going to spray it yourself?
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
punkerpirate
1979 CJ7 

I'm not spraying myself, and because I didn't want it shiny (because I'm going with olive drab) we went with the enamel and up the hardener. I considered a nice emberglo -- but then I would just HAVE to chrome her up -- and talk about a frowning hubby then! Said urethane would be blotch is you tried to dull it all. I may go with a flat clear coat to preserve the ae a little more.
punkerpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
gtome

Ahhhhhh! Sorry I missed that you didnt want it shiney. Yeah, you may have to add a flattened clear coat over the AE if you are really wanting to use it. Personally I would never use AE, its old technology, soft, doesnt have near the UV protection, and is really tough to fix if you get any small damage.

If you use the flattened clear over it, it may help in those areas, but then if your going to do that, what is the point of AE in the first place?? If you do spray clear on it, it has to be fully cured and catalyzed before clearing. Check manufactures specs on cure time, some can be 3 weeks, and that will surely blow your timeline.

The only good thing about AE is it sprays really easy. If you wanted to paint something for the first time, this stuff would likely turn out nice and give you the confidence to do it again (and hopefully use some better stuff) ie.... its easy to paint with.

Good luck with it! Post pics when its done.
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
gtome

Almost forgot about this. May be worth checking out. Lot of guys love it!
Hot Rod Flatz

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.