Paint Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Paint Advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
jbdower
1981 CJ8 

Paint Advice

I am planning to re-paint an '81 CJ8 that is 1B Moonlight Blue and I want to go back with the original color. I was told that AMC used a single stage enamel and did not use a base coat/clear coat process. So if I wanted to stay as close to original as possible, where can I buy a single stage enamel that will match the factory color code?

jbdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Go to a local auto paint supply outfit and tell them what you have and what you want. They can pull the formula and mix it for you. Acrylic enamel is what they used then, and might still be on the market by most makers of paint. If you do it yourself or have a shop do it, be sure to use the hardner for it.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
jbdower
1981 CJ8 

paint

thanks Goldhammer, now if I was buying how much should I get, for just the topcoat, 1 Gallon ?
jbdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

They can tell you better than I can on coverage. Been way too long since I had a gun in my hand (15 years now, and close to 30 since I have shot any enamel) Gallon should be close to doing inside and outside of it, maybe 5 quarts. Gallon should be plenty to do just the outside by the time it is reduced. And that would leave some unreduced and unhardened for touchups or repairs later if needed.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.