Orange Peel Questions / Opinions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Orange Peel Questions / Opinions

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
NOCHEEPGAS
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Maybe I should have posted the question in the help me conduct my buisness fourm, however I did not and its in a paint tech fourm. I said I understood that point and came here looking for advise on how to fix the problem not on how to conduct my buisness...
Thanks to those who helped with the question I asked...
Didn't mean to offend, It's not how YOU conduct YOUR business, it's how your PAINTER conducts HIS.

NOCHEEPGAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCHEEPGAS View Post
Didn't mean to offend, It's not how YOU conduct YOUR business, it's how your PAINTER conducts HIS.
I am over it guys... but it is how I conduct my business and not so much how the painter conducts his. As the consumer it was my responsibility to determine before hand if the wet sanding was included or not and my responsibility to kick it back to him and not pay him till I was happy. I did neither and realized it before the 3 comments.

Either way just wanted to up date this with the happy ending...

Went to Sherman Williams last week and talked to the auto guy. After about 30 min I walked away with what I needed to complete the work. Bought the variable speed buffer from Harbor Freight.

Wet sanded it with 4 times 1500 and dried it so I could see spots that still had the orange peel. Did not go back with the 2000. After that hit it with the cutting compound and them finish compound and it turned out like glass. All the orange peel is gone and I did not burn through the clear anywhere. Very happy with my sub standard paint job. Going to finish up the fenders in a few days.

Worked on the hood today. Got it wet sanded and then hit with
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Looks awesome Moc, that looks sweet. How did you find your CL painter, you put a wanted ad, or you searched him? I'd like to find someone like this that can do it on the side near me in NJ.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Looks awesome Moc, that looks sweet. How did you find your CL painter, you put a wanted ad, or you searched him? I'd like to find someone like this that can do it on the side near me in NJ.
Just searched on Craigslist and found him. There were 2 in my area, he was closer and liked him better on the phone than the other guy. Total crap shoot but looks like it worked out.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
NOCHEEPGAS
1980 CJ5 

Glad it worked out, I like the color!
NOCHEEPGAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Gotta admit

Gotta admit that it came out great......

Good to see that the orange peel was in the clear and not in the base.

I like the way the Dr. Pepper can keeps coming up in your posts... Is seems that the red in the can matches to jeep.
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I just found this thread. Had I found it before the end I would have called this a quality job for not having a down draft or oven. Orange peel is pretty much to be expected unless all conditions are perfect.

It looked good out of the gun and it looks good now. Nice job. Next time paint it yourself. If you can wetsand and buff you can paint.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.